Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I hate my long irons

The good thing about a jam packed weekend, is the fact that it gives you plenty of blog fodder to work off as the week goes on. Heck, the danged weekend gave me at least 4 posts off the top of my head and then a few ancillary ones as well. Now thats my kind of weekend.

So, golf, a game that is supposed to be relaxing and fun. Many people say that you are supposed to get out all your aggression and tension by smacking the hell out of a little white ball. For me, it just seems to stress me out more.

Makefield Highlands is a beautiful, sort of links type course, with very few trees, wide open fairways and rolling topography. It also has some screwy dog legs left and right and some of the fun fun fescue. I spent alot of time in the damned fescue!

I throw the first hole out, I pretty much hopped out of my car and rambled quickly up to the first tee without any warm ups. And the middle holes, 2 to 8 were pretty uneventful, except for the fact that I could never really use my driver because it would have put me in a bad spot. So I had to rely on my long irons (clubs 2 through 7) and they just suck! They cause me to spray the ball all over the course, being a danger to everyone within two holes of me on either side. Hence, the tension.

Things did pick up after hole 10, a hole I was cursing on, so how much worse could it really get. But, on the 13th hole, I had a great drive, nice and straight, a nice shot with my hybrid club and then, holy shit, I chipped in from off the green for a birdie!! I mean, it looked like one of those dramatic, movie type Tiger Woods chips. The fact that I lost my golf ball three times on the next 5 holes did not deter the excitement I got from one freaking birdie.

15 comments:

Wylie Kinson said...

Hiya Sparky!
I'm sure this was an enlightening sporty post chalk full of irons and woods and holes (oh my),but you lost me at "So, golf, a game that blah b*&@ pbssd Zzzzzzzzzzz......"

*yawn*

The only thing I DON'T miss about living in Bermuda is the fact that it has the more golf courses per square acre than anywhere else in the world... ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Anthony said...

I have yet to try it, but I've heard golf described as "a good walk spoiled".

Maybe you should try those Precept pink balls that Paula plays!

And bravo to you for using a hybrid club. Every golfer should have one in their bag.

Unknown said...

You really have been busy!!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

LOL on Wylie's golf narcolepsy reaction. And I think I'm more of an Anthony good-walk-spoiled kind of a person. But glad to hear that two-thirds of your tension build-up was rewarded with that Tiger Woods moment!

Erin said...

I'm with Wylie - although I was reading it, I was seeing blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

Can you tell I'm not a golfer??

I did understand birdie and I know that's a good thing so WTG!

Lisa Andel said...

Golf's not so bad. If you drink heavily while playing, and waiting for one of the guys to take his pants off. I don't remember seeing that aspect of the game on ESPN, but they always do it at our golf outings at work ...

Cinnamon Girl said...

Fly High Free Bird!

Ducks are birds, right?

Anonymous said...

Tried golfing once but never got that "relaxing" feeling out of it. I wanted to kill that little white ball.

Anonymous said...

Sparky says - "What is wrong with being the girl in Lolita?"

Urethral and bladder neck injury after pseudo-urethral coitus causing total urinary incontinence after being 'raped'.
That's what's wrong!
Prepubescent females will suffer urethral laceration and patulous urethra and bladder neck injury.

I deal with this for 6 months every year as 50ish males from the Rich World partake of the 'Lolitas' of Cambodia and Lao PDR at 5 bucks a 'rip'.

Where is Lila? She'd rip you a new stoma!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

OK, I like golf..have not been able to play in a few years...but...DAMN YOU SPARKY..why did we not meet when we lived 45 minutes apart dude...we could have had some fun together...

Anyway... never use a 2 iron...never use my driver (unless the hold is 150 then sharp dogleg right 150 - then I hole in one with the driver!)

There is always that one shot (and the 18th hole) that you do well with so the Golf Gods bring you back for more.

Anonymous said...

The only thing about golf that I have a hard time understanding is how so many people can be out in the 115F heat fiercly hitting that little white ball.

Oh about the Gin Blossoms, I actually got to serve Robin Wilson and his family one time. As he has his recording studio here in Tempe. It's strange how singers and actors look like ordinary people in real life. They were very down to earth.

tiggerprr said...

Desppite what some others have said...I totally "get" you and the golf thing. I haven't gotten to golf at ALL this summer, unless i wanted to go alone with Ashlyn's knee issue and with my hubby's shoulder issue. And I hate golfing alone. :( Good for you and your birdie, there's just nothing like chipping in from off the green (well a hole in one might fill a tad better LOL) is there? I've done that once and I did the Snoopy Happy Dance right there.

Ashlyn just played her first 9 holes for golf team practice since her injury and scored a 55. I'd say that's pretty good considering she hasnt' golfed since October, and has had an ACL tear, 2 surgeries and 4 months of Physical Therapy since. :)

Dragon said...

Just don't turn out like this guy.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/22/people.billmurray.ap/index.html

Jenny McB said...

Sparky-
I am there for ya and next week when you love your irons and hate your woods, I will still be here.

Got in a quick nine today after work, not my best effort, but still beats work!

Meggie Mom Fantastic said...

Sparky, we all hate our long irons. What's a long iron? JK :)