Thursday, June 14, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #39- The God and Goddess One


ThirteenGods and Goddesses of Egypt


As I mentioned earlier in the week, the family had a little educational sojourn to the Franklin Institute to see the King Tut Exhibit. One of the things I learned was the fact that the Egyptian royalty believed in spells and higher powers to protect them and also help there transportation to the next life. I think they even had a Book of Shadows. So, I figured I would give a little something something about 13 Gods and Goddesses of Egyptian Mythology.

1.Ahy-God and protector of Musicians and Music. Maybe I can credit him for the Ipod.

2.Amentet-The god and protector of the setting sun. She is also the greeter, like St Peter in Catholicsm, and guide of those who have just crossed over to the afterlife.

3.Anpu-Originally the God of cemetaries, he was also thought to be the son of the Sun God, making him very powerful in the heirarchy. Later became the God of embalming and the guide to those of Northern Egypt when it came to death.

4. Atum-One of the nine deities of Egypt. He is believed to have been the physical creator of all things physically on the planet, through spitting or masturbation. I just wanted to find a way of working masturbation into a Thursday Thirteen.

5. Bastet-a cat goddess, she was the goddess of pregnant women and the patron for singing, music and dancing
. I purchased a necklace with Bastet in her cat form, as a way of trying to change my own luck. Even if it looks a little girly.

6. Wadjet-The serpent mother and protector of all of Egyp
t. One of the key goddesses in Egyptian culture. Depicted usually as a cobra, her representation is the one you see on the royal headdress.

7.Duanmutef-One of the four gods that helped protect the entrails that were stored in those little gold canopys. Duanmutef was the protector of the stomach, which was removed during embalming.

8. Hapi-The god of the Nile itself. Always depicted as a fat man wearing blue or green mud, based on the belief that he was the creator of the Nile. As opposed to the Blue Man Group, who were the creators of raves as Broadway shows.

9. Hektet-Another goddess of fertility. She was depicted as frog, because of the creation of tadpoles every spring. She was a goddess scene often in the magical texts and her amulets were given to pregnant women to protect them during childbirth.

10. Eset-Known as Isis in english and greek, she was the goddess of love, magic, motherhood and children. She is one of the oldest known goddesses and also the one that remained the most unchanged from the time of her first mention. A goddess that was not only worshipped by Egyptians, but also Romans and Greeks.

11. Nebthet-The goddess of the mastery of Magic.
She was said to be the protector and ruler of the open sands of Egypt. Known as the Lady of the House. Any time you give a woman that title, you know she is got some juice behind her. Its like calling a woman maam.

12. Re or Ra-The Sun God,
the big kahuna, the head honcho of all the gods and goddesses. Another of the deity of 9, he controlled the Sun, which controlled everything else. Became for a brief time the top of a sole god hierarchy that was instituted by the King just before King Tut. This theology failed.

13. Shesmu-The god of sinners.
Think of him as the Grim Reaper. It was his job to behead the sinners and make them pay for there trangressions under the order of Isis. Not exactly a shinny happy God.



Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy TT!

Great list!

Anonymous said...

Very cool post!

Crimson Wife said...

Interesting list! We're going to be studying Ancient Egypt in our homeschool this upcoming year & I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing :-)

Gattina said...

I love egyptian old history, I have been 7 times in Egypt and seen a lot.

Kimo and Sabi said...

Ooooh - a CAT goddess! Right up our alley-cat!

P.S. - we need yer help - come quick...

Unknown said...

It's sad to admit, everything I know about Egyption gods and goddesses I learned from Stargate. Thanks for making my education more rounded!

Darla said...

What a timely post! I'm currently reading Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos with my kids, and there are a bunch of Egyptian gods and curses in it. :)

Cinnamon Girl said...

Ooohh! Good TT, Sparky. I love Egyptain mythology. That was a fun read. Except Cobra head. That sounded a might icky :P

Tilly Greene said...

Ummm, Goddess of Entrails? Oh dear, I bet she wishes her title was a little more ladylike...maybe the Goddess of Smooth Passages?

So jealous about your visit to the exhibition :-)

Lori said...

I like that!! Happy TT....

Erin said...

Either I'm way hungover or skipped all Mythology classes ever :)

Mo said...

Aww...you didn't even mention one of my fav's: Set, the God of Night.

Great list!

MommaBoo said...

Now I wanna be embalmed...

Wait a minute, I'm Baptist...Nevermind!

Thanks for the history lesson, though.

#4 Masturbation? Really? Wow! Must have been some powerful stuff!

Happy TT!

Anndi said...

Let's hope the amulet doesn't increase your fertility.. Wait.. ... then you'd waddle... hehehe!

VERY informative, thanks!

Karina said...

I love these educational TT's, then I can tell people I learned something new today!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Wow - that was some TT...jam packed full of info...

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Please tell me you didn't remember that but instead brought home a brochure or took notes or something...

No one's brain can be that big -- or can it?????

kuanyin333 said...

Great post! I've been to Egypt twice, and I'm fascinated with Egyptian info. Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize there were so many of them. Very interesting!

Spy Scribbler said...

A post right up my alley! My cats always act like they're goddesses. I don't doubt it for a second!

Happy TT!

Wylie Kinson said...

Stellar TT, Sparky!!
#4 LMAO! Masturbation... hehehehe
#5 I don't get it. Are you trying to get pregnant? ;)

Rebecca said...

Oooh good topic!
Happy TT13

Mymsie said...

Egyptology is SO fascinating!

Unknown said...

very educational, let us know when you get your box

Anonymous said...

Nice list!

I love anything Egypt. I would add Thoth to the list. He was also Enoch who is Metatron. Metatron is one of my favorite Ascended Masters. But, maybe Thoth is not considered a God.

And, although, not a Goddess then, I love Isis.

Meggie Mom Fantastic said...

We missed the exhibit in florida, I dont know if it's come to our new state or not yet. I should take the kids to see it, ya think?

btw, i'm a pittsburgh transplant.

:)

Leighann said...

Great list! Thanks for teaching me a few things!

Joy Renee said...

i love studying ancient religions and Egypt's is one of my favorites. Yet I didn't know some of this. thanx

and thanx for stopping by my 13 addlepated moments