Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Womens Lib comes to the track


Ok, maybe not, because we are talking about a horse here, not even a jockey. Over the weekend, Rags to Riches took the Belmont Stakes. It was the first time in over 100 years that a Filly has won this race and I think its only the third time period.

She is a beautiful horse, it even struck Tin Man as we watched the pre race to remark how truly gorgeous she is. But, she also had the breeding and the legs to run in that long of a race. Plus, I don't want to say I told you so, because I probably didnt mention it here, but I did remark to Mrs Duck that if I was betting, I would have put a good dose of my money down on Rags to Riches.

The race itself was very very slow until the end. The pace was pedestrian, almost like the horses wanted to crawl to the finish line. At the top of the stretch, Curlin, Hard Spun and Rags to Riches made their moves and Hard Spun had nothing left. With about 2 furlongs to go, Curlin made his last effort and Rags fought it off to take the Belmont by a head or so. A very exciting race that had me sweating. Sports does that to me sometimes.

It is being played up here in the United States as a very big deal, at least amongst people who pay attention to horse racing (which is not that many). In Europe, it would be something, but fillies are run against colts and stallions almost every week and their has to be some times when they win. But, I do know one thing, it sets up the possibility of a great Classic in October, with Curlin, Street Sense, Rags to Riches, Discreet Cat and maybe even Chelokee as entrants. Now, go google all those names to figure out what in the Godessess name I am talking about.

10 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

I'm off to google and educate myself. :-) I love watching Wildfire, does that count?

Seriously, horse racing is beautiful.

Slackermommy said...

I'm not into horse racing much but I love the names. I'm the one who bets on a horse because of it's name and not because of it's stats.

Unknown said...

*blink*

*goes to Google*

I like horses...pretty...

Erin said...

Hey now, one thing I don't have to google! That's only because I'm a gambler and I always bet a few bucks here and there on the big horse races :) I didn't however bet on the winner - man, I suck at the betting thing, lol.

pissed off patricia said...

I used to be all about watching horse races until last year at the Derby and then the later death of Barbaro. Now I have no desire to watch them.

That is a beautiful horse and she looks regal.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I grew up with a Dad who has never missed a Derby, Belmont or Preakness race. Even though I like watching them, I never think to check it out. She does look beautiful. There's something so majestic about watching them run :)

Forest Dogs said...

Fraid we don't know much about horses, but we do give them a little woof when we see one!

Anonymous said...

She is so pretty. Girls Rule, ya know.

Anthony said...

I was at Bulle Rock when all this was going on. Someone mentioned to Annika that they mentioned her name in association with the horse. I didn't understand, and with all the rush of people, I'm not sure Annika did either.

Did you hear anything on the broadcast about it?

Cinnamon Girl said...

Over 100 years?! Really? Dang I figured that the stallions would win more often but not that wide of a margin.