Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I Have been a Bad Boy

Or at least a bad blogger buddy. And yes, I put it just like that in the title so you would want to stop buy and see how bad Sparky can be. I say I have been bad because I have not been keeping up with my usual amount of posts, or even worse, I have not been able to stop by and visit you all. But, yes I said but, I have a good excuse.

I have been up to my elbows in inlaws. My sister in law, Doc, came up to visit us for the weekend and Doc, while I love her, is one of those people that you have to keep enterntained and active at all times. This is not exactly something that Mrs Duck and I excel at all the time. You should have seen the look we got when we said we took a nap Saturday afternoon.

So, the weekend was filled with Philadelphia activities, or at least activities that involved yours truly on Saturday and Monday, with Mrs Duck pitching in on Friday. A marathon shopping day in King of Prussia mall, one giant mall! I am actually glad I missed that one.

The jewel in the crown of the weekend was the trip to the Franklin Institute to get a peek at the King Tut exhibit. I have heard from other people that it was the B-List of artifacts included, but to me it was still very very cool. I did learn a few things.

-I never knew that they had so much wood in Egypt. Many things either had a wood case, or were made out of wood in general, like some of the Kings bowls and horns.
-Hieroglyphics are very pretty and Egyptians used lots and lots of them. The words were carved as a chance to protect them and conjure up spells for the after life, but it was also alot of work. Carving on the back of some medals as well as the front.
-I can't do IMAX movies. I did not find myself getting dizzy, but I did get a horrible headache type feeling behind my eyes, like they were over stimulated or something. I knew that the movie would do it to me, but I still bucked up like a typical guy and pressed on. That cost me a good hour and a half of pain. What? Im stubborn!

If you get the chance to see the tour, I would do it. One of the vessels that held Tutankhamun's liver was actually the most mesmerizing thing. I stopped for about 10 minutes and just stared at the gleaming gold as it glinted in the low lights. I so wish I could have gotten pictures.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess that's a good enough excuse. ;-)

That Tut exhibit sounds interesting. I don't know if I want to see his liver, though.

Tilly Greene said...

I heard the Tut exhibit was fabulous, lucky you for getting to see it!

Ummm, does Doc not realize you two are still honeymooners and a "nap" is something you look forward to? I'm thinking she may need to take a refresher course or two!

Unknown said...

We'll let it slide this time...but don't let it happen again. ;)

I have to say I'm hooked on IMAX, at least for big movie releases. The next one I plan to see is Harry Potter this summer.

Anonymous said...

That exihibit sounds so cool.

Why does summer equal family??? And, why do they seem to be insane? Mine are!!

The Gal Herself said...

One of the traditions I learned from my mother (when she was travelling with two rambunctious daughters rather close in age) was to INSIST on staying in a hotel or motel while visiting relatives. I have found that it's better for family relations when the residents of the host city really are sorry to see you go.

Loved this post, though. I came dangerously close to living near Philly (Bala Cynwyd) and was pleased to see the Franklin Institute and King of Prussia and other familiar places.

Erin said...

First - LOVE the King of Prussia mall :) it's one of my favorites!

SEcond - I hate In-laws, gald you don't ;)

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

You've been busy Sparky Duck, we totally understand :) I'd love to go to that Tut exhibit, but alas, it's not coming anywhere near me. I tried to talk the hubs into traveling to see it, but I wasn't convincing enough. I always like to see the IMAX movies with exhibits like that, usually good stuff. Thankfully they don't bother me. Now, the second Bourne movie did, but no IMAX ones ever have :)

Have a great day!