Monday, December 17, 2007

Poetry Train gets even more festive

One of those classic Christmas songs that I look forward to hearing every year has always been the Little Drummer Boy. No, I am not into the religious angle, but I am into the message of peace and finding something that makes someone else happy.

If you want to hear a perfect version, of course it would be the David Bowie/Bing Crosby version, especially with the little conversation in the beginning. What an odd combination that quickly puts out a great song.

David: Hello...... you're the new butler?
Bing: Hahaha! Well, it's been a long time since I've been the new anything!
David: What's happened to Hudson?
Bing: I guess he's changing.
David: Yeah, he does that a lot, doesn't he? Uhm... Oh, I'm David Bowie, I live
down the road.
Bing: Oh!
David: Sir Percival let's me use his piano if he not around. He's not around, is
he?
Bing: I can honestly say I haven't seen him, but come on in! Come in!
David: But uh...
Bing: Come on in!
David: Are you related to sir Percival?
Bing: Well, distantly...
David: Oh, you're not the poor relation from America, right?
Bing: Ha! Gee... news sure travels fast, doesn't it? I'm Bing.
David: Oh, I'm pleased to meet you. You're the one that sings, right?
Bing: Well, right or wrong, I sing either way.
David: Oh well, I sing too.
Bing: Oh good! What kind of singing?
David: Mostly the contemporary stuff. Do you eh... do you like modern music?
Bing: Oh, I think it's marvellous! Some of it's really fine. But tell me, have you ever listened to any of the older fellows?
David: Oh yeah, sure. I like ah... John Lennon and the other one with eh...Harry
Nilsson.
Bing: Mmm... you go back that far, uh?
David: Yeah, I'm not as young as I look.
Bing: Haha, none of us is these days!
David: In fact I've got a six year old son. And he really gets excited around the Christmas holiday-thing.
Bing: Do you go in for anything of the traditional things in the... boy, household, Christmas time?
David: Oh yeah, most of them really. Presents, tree, decorations, agents sliding down the chimney...
Bing: What??
David: Oh, I was just seeing if you were paying attention.
Bing: Haha!
David: Actually, our family do most of the things that other families do. We
sing the same songs.
Bing: Do you?
David: Oh, I even have a go at 'White Christmas'.
Bing: You do, eh!
David: And this one. This is my son's favourite. Do you know this one?
Bing: Oh, I do indeed, it's a lovely theme.

And they told me pa-ram-pam-pam-pam
A new-born king to see pa-ram-pam-pam-pam
Our finest gifts we bring pa-ram-pam-pam-pam
Ra-pam-pam-pam, ra-pam-pam-pam

Peace on Earth, can it be
Years from now, perhaps we'll see
See the day of glory
See the day, when men of good will
Live in peace, live in peace again

Peace on Earth, can it be
Every child must be made aware
Every child must be made to care
Care enough for his fellow man
To give all the love that he can

I pray my wish will come true
For my child and your child too
He'll see the day of glory
See the day when men of good will
Live in peace, live in peace again

Peace on Earth, can it be
Can it be

Bing: It's a pretty theme, isn't it?



Get aboard the Poetry Train here and today is your last day to get on the Christmas Express Card list.

17 comments:

Anndi said...

I LOVE that...

Lisa Andel said...

Bing has it right...pretty thing isn't it.

Thanks Sparky.

the Book of Keira said...

This is my favorite MM post of the day.... I love it :-)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ahh. My favorite version of my favorite Christmas carol.

You rock, Sparky.

Wylie Kinson said...

One of my faves too. When it's done right - the drumming rhythm can be quite hypnotic.

Anonymous said...

my son and i enjoyed watching your classic music videos! thanks, the bowie bing banter is classic too--where did it come from

Anonymous said...

Sparky! Thanks for sharing that. I have this song on a CD Compilation of Christmas Music. I'm thrilled to have found the You Tube video and will share it with my friends.

*doing the Stimpy Happy Happy Joy Joy dance*

Tug said...

I just saw this not too long ago, LOVE IT!

gautami tripathy said...

I like it. One of my favs! Thanks for posting this!

better judgement

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Great post Sparky

love it

COME ON OVER TO THE COUCH AND VOTE EVERY DAY THIS WEEK.

Jill said...

I've seen this one only a couple of time!!
No mention about sport on your message for the commenters??

Unknown said...

I haven't seen this video in ages!! Thanks for posting it. :)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I actually saw this when it first aired. I remember feeling that something special was happening, even as a kid, but who knew it would stand on its own like this for all these years? I'm glad it did. These are my favorite lines:
'I pray my wish will come true
For my child and your child too
He'll see the day of glory
See the day when men of good will
Live in peace, live in peace again'
Thanks for posting this, Sparky!

Anthony said...

I have spent more than ample time trying to figure out how these two ever got together for this song. Maybe they had the same management?

David was into the Ziggy Stardust and dressing as a girl in those days, so I can't imagine Bing found it fascinating.

Rhian said...

David Bowie is a god in my universe. seriously. i always loved this. i missed you Sparkle-duck. thanks for hopping on the train and sorry i've been all hogtied with work and shit.
hugs and kisses - rhi

Hyperion said...

This is a great song. We should do a Best Oddball duet Music List.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Hands down my favorite Christmas song (this version) evah.