Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Harbor Lights

Here is another one of those times where I admit something strange about myself. And luckily, it has nothing to do with 9 inch stilettos.
At Christmas time, when it comes to lighting up the house with lights and decorations, I am crazy. Cat Wrangler calls me Griswold Jr. But, to be honest, there are sparkly lights and flickering bulbs outside Chez Duck 10 out of 12 months of the year. To prepare for the arrival of Cat Wrangler and Tex from Texas, I have been making sure that all the Halloween decorations are outside and ready to roll, including purple and orange lights. I wonder where this addiction comes from.
I can remember when I was a youth, that when we would take trips down to the Jersey Shore for the week, one of my favorite times was around 10 in the evening, when the beach had gotten quieter and you could see both the lights bobbing from the buoys and also the fishing boats floating around in the darkness. I would be transfixed by there lights. I think that is where this light the house up fetish started. Its not that its pretty, which they are, but its more of a calming factor to me.

13 comments:

Schmoop said...

I am a light freak myself, so Iraise a glass to you. Cheers!!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Dude I am a lights ho myself, so I am with you here. Say it loud say it proud!

Anthony said...

Have you ever been to Ocean City for the Nights in Venice thing? Hundreds of pleasure boats all lit up.

Twyla said...

You would fit in perfectly around here. A couple times of year we have a 'parade of lights' where the boats are all decorated in lights and sail around the harbour. We use every excuse to do it. Oh, and people around here LOVE decorating their houses with lights. Most have their Christmas lights up and turned on November 1st. Basically, as soon as Halloween is over, anything goes. LOL But there is a reason for doing it so early. Lobstering season starts in November and there's no time for decorating after that.

Unknown said...

You guys sound like fun!

Anonymous said...

I run up the electric bill every holiday too! Plug it in, baby!

Tempest Knight said...

Hehehe! I have a light fetish too. Sunday I spent all afternoon hooking all the Halloween lights, and Monday we had the official "lights on."

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I am gonna miss that this year being in an apartment ... pout

Anonymous said...

My son has developed that fetish as well. But I guess at nearly 16 years old, if that's all he's up to ...

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i can see you as a griswold! nice...

smiles, bee

Anonymous said...

I would love to put lights outside my house but DH just isn't very into it. Don't forget to take a picture so we can see your masterpiece.

Lisa Andel said...

I don't do the other holidays, but I go all out for Christmas. Inside and out.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

They say it's good to own your addiction. My father has a similar issue, but interestingly it didn't arise until after his kids were adults. Happy lighting!