Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Days when sugar was just sugar

I have been devoting some time now to the Consumerist. Not only do they let you know about some good deals, but they also give you a peek at the ninnies that are running corporations right now. One of there posts yesterday talked about sugar, and how avoiding unnecessary sugar can make you healthier.


In fact, there are at least 30 different variations of sugar on nutrition lists.

Brown-rice syrup
Corn sweetener
Corn syrup, or corn syrup solids
Cane Juice
Dehydrated cane juice
Dextrin
Dextrose
Fructose
Fruit juice concentrate
Glucose
High-fructose corn syrup
Honey
Invert sugar
Lactose
Maltodextrin
Malt syrup
Maltose
Mannitol
Maple syrup
Molasses
Raw sugar
Rice Syrup
Saccharose
Sorbitol
Sorghum or sorghum syrup
Sucrose
Syrup
Treacle
Turbinado Sugar
Xylose


Of course, the manufacturers are making a whole lot harder to determine what the hell sugar is in the first place. It makes me remember those old Breyers commercials with the cute kids reading the ingredients. Of course, now I am sure that even Breyers is not that wholesome anymore

10 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

my bryers package is the same as the old ones. this is ridiculous. why don't they just use SUGAR??? yeesh..

smiles, bee

Unknown said...

Oh i remember that commercial.Over 30? Mannitol is also a blood pressure medication haha!

rennratt said...

I had no idea what to watch for in the ingredients list.

Then I read "You on a Diet".

The rule of thumb? If sugar (or a sub-type) is in the 1st five ingredients, DON'T BUY IT.

Amy Ruttan said...

Holy crap your a 1000. Wow congrats. I've taken to reading labels to keep the weight loss up. I've lost 30lbs after a 70lb weight gain with the first child.

I use splenda or honey to sweeten my one cup a tea a day. I posted that stir fry recipe for ya a couple of days ago. I'll have to post my Mexican Layered Chicken. It was spicy good.

Anthony said...

Breyers Vanilla (my favorite) says it's: MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, NATURAL FLAVOR, NATURAL TARA GUM.
But is it actual sugar or a product of sugar?

I gave up sugar a couple years ago, restricting it to the huge amounts that are already in a lot of foods. I'm using artificial sweetener or nothing. It feels as good as when I got myself from whole milk to skim to soy.

I think I read something a long time ago that said, if the FDA had to approve sugar as a food additive TODAY, they wouldn't do it. If it's true, then that tells you all you need to know about sugar.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Hard to avoid both sugar and salt in processed food. But when consumers demand it in large enough numbers, we'll get a reduction on that, I think.

Anonymous said...

Try having a kid allergic to High Fructose Corn Syrup. You learn really quickly what the label says.

Too bad we all can't go back to growing our own food.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Because of this post I am going to have to go on a hunt for Breyers Strawberry Icecream. The fate of the world (mine at least) depends on it!

Sparky Duck said...

Anthony-Tara Gum is apparently Sugar too

Starr-Dont forget the Cool Whip

Rebecca said...

xylose? turbinado? dextrin? some very evil-sounding names for sugar...