Thursday, August 02, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #46-The Purple One


Thirteen Things about Purple


1.Purple is my favorite color

2.Any shade of colo between blue and red on the color spectrum is considered a purple.

3.Purple exists as a combination color, with shades of red and blue, while violet, which is considered a shade of color by most, is really a different shade of blue as opposed to a combination of two colors itself.

4.The word purple comes from a version of Latin, termed purpa.

5.Purpa has its historical deriviation from Greek and porphura, which was a dye that was eventually squeezed out of a snail (yum)

6.Purple has always been considered a color of royalty, all the way back to Alexander the Great.

7.Purple is associated with Saturday on the Thai Solar Calendar, which is the official calendar of Thailand. If you were born on a Saturday in Thailand, you are legally allowed to dye your hair purple.

8.In Christianity, Purple stands for the color of the evil sin of pride. This would be one explanation to me for having lenten colors be purple, since you are supposed to fast for 3 weeks before Easter. Though I could be wrong.

9.Ironically, or possibly not so ironically, on a Gaypride Rainbow Flag, the purple also stands for Pride.


10.Purple has magikal properties in which it centers any spiritual undertaking and focuses it more.

11.In Wicca, burning a purple candle stands for luck, protection, wisdom and reaching your higher self.

12.One of the greatest albums of all time, at least for sheer amount of really really good songs on it in my opinion, was Purple Rain by Prince and the Revolution.


13.Sport teams that use purple in there uniforms: Colorado Rockies, Minnesota Vikings, Phoenix Suns and the Los Angeles Kings. In college, many teams use purple, though the most well known ones would probably be Northwestern University, Louisiana State University and the University of Washington.




Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





33 comments:

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I like purple too. I used to have a purple outfit that I loved wearing.

Anonymous said...

I thought purple was to stand for royalty?!

Sparky Duck said...

Kinda what I said in #6 Mama Archer

Tilly Greene said...

Mrs Duck better have a purple negligee hanging around - something to keep you off the golf course :-)

Sparky Duck said...

In fact she does, though I find that frilly stuff a waste. I am just gonna rip it off her. :)

Anonymous said...

I once wallpapered my room with purple tissue paper from the boutique I was working at.

Purple is associated with spirituality and the third eye on the chakra system of color.

Sparky Duck said...

Colleen, I read that, I just I have not knowledge of the chakra, so I left it off. Or at least edited too much

Tink said...

Purple is my favourite colour too!
Thanks for visiting my geography TT.

Anonymous said...

Purple is one of my favorites, but it probably depends on the day and my mood and the phase of the moon lol. I think it became considered a royal color, because it was so expensive to get? What's the punishment in Thailand if you dye your hair purple and were born on Tuesday?

Cinnamon Girl said...

100% agree on Purple Rain. Just watched that last night. Prince has more talent in his pinky toe that most artist around =)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

LOL on Mrs. Duck's purple negligee! And for This Eclectic Life's question about the non-Saturday Thai people dying their hair purple. This TT has made for some fun, Sparky!

Tug said...

AZ Diamondbacks have purple, too.

;-)

Sparky Duck said...

Unfortunately not anymore Tugger, they have switched to black and red this year.

Unknown said...

Purple is my youngest daughter's favourite colour. She is nuts for it. I'm more of a green girl, but purple is a close second.

And Mrs. Duck should be careful around you in her negligees!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i love purple too sparky!

smiles, bee

Lisa Andel said...

I love this TT. Such a simple thing, and yet so complex. Way to go Sparky. And I too want to know what happens to you in Thailand if you're born on a Tuesday and dye your hair purple.

Twyla said...

Purple is my favourite colour too...but for a very stupid reason. Spell check doesn't seem to like the way I spelled favourite or colour with a U. LOL

Rebecca said...

You said, "...greatest albums of all time..." and then I coulda sworn I saw the name Prince :-0

Okay, well I do love the color purple. It's either that or pink as my favority color (usually anyway)
Happy TT13!

Robin said...

I think purple became associated with royalty because the dye was so expensive that only royalty could afford it.

Whatever the reason, it's certainly a lovely color.

Anonymous said...

Purple rocks! My website header is purple. Purple is a masculine/femine color. Bold and strong. It makes a statement!

impwork said...

When you've got to extract a dye from snails it's not hard to see why it became associated with royalty. Not a lot of ordinary people would have the cash to pay for that.

Dragon said...

My favourite purple is lavender. When I was a little girl I owned a lavender satin dress with lacy cupped sleeves. I love that dress.

Yoshi said...

OMG I loved purple rain! :)

and purple is my favourite colour as well. Purple rocks!

Anonymous said...

Purple is my fave as well.

I love Purple Rain!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Purple is cool...thought I lean toward blues and grays myself... but purple is cool

and purple rain is a kick ass album

cool list dude

The Gal Herself said...

Psst! C'mon by. I'm trying to make you famous as an opinion maker ...

Rhian said...

with my redheair i look kinda funky in purple. bad funky, not good funky. always thought it was a loverly color though.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I'm a purple fan, too, but red's my fave.

Nice choice and neat tidbits, Sparky!

Karen said...

Purple is my favorite color too -- and I didn't know 1/2 these facts! This was really interesting --!
Happy TT and thanks for visiting mine!

Unknown said...

Great TT. Purple is one of my favorite colors. Favorite cartoon character The Grape Ape.

Ed

Neila said...

Ooooo! I love this TT - mainly because purple is my favorite color, too!! Those are very cool facts, and I agree that Purple Rain is one of the best albums of all time!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that the rainbow was a symbol of gay pride. I learned that one the hard way! *wink*

Joy Renee said...

i'm fond of purple myself. dark purple and neon blue is one of my favorite color duos for accents or needlepoint designs

thanx for visiting my Natalie Merchant TT. obviously I knew you would like it. and thanx for clearing up the question of that title Candy Everybody Wants. I listened to two versions and one of them was obviously wrong. I should have gone to a definitive source before choosing. i would have if i hadn't been so tired that night. You wouldn't know it from some of my recent posts but i'm usually a prissy stickler about things like that too. Anyway, i fixed it.