Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Yep, More on Michael Moore

If you missed it yesterday, we had a nice debate on the Mrs Duck post about Sicko and the healthcare system in general. It was gratifying to have a sharing of thoughts, and it was also nice to see that it did not evolve into name calling. Well, there was some name calling, but that was on my part and I was making fun of famous people. They get paid big bucks so they have to live with a little name calling.

Anthony and Wylie said some things that were much more eloquent then anything I am about to ramble off right now, but they both got me to thinking as well.

People hate Michael Moore, hate him with a blinding passion, mostly because of his political leanings, but also because of Fahrenheit 9/11 and the timing of the release of the picture. I understand that, I hate that blonde bimbo columnist with a blinding rage. But, she is solely and completely political. She admits it, relishes it and I understand it. But look at who Michael Moore has usually attacked in his movies, more corporations then political people.

-Michael and Me=General Motors and the rest of the automobile companies.
-Bowling for Columbine=The NRA, Gun Manufacturers and Wal-Mart
-Fahrenheit 9/11=Ok, we know who...
-Sicko=Health Insurance Companies, Pharmaceuticals and the Government as a whole, blue as well as red.


Four movies, one highly political, three others more informative to how the wool is being pulled over the public's eyes by the wealthy. Now consider this.

Tom Hanks is one of the top 10 actors living in America. I would even say top 5 living American actors, but since Rober Redford and Paul Newman are still alive, though not acting, Hanks is in the Top 10. Watch Big and try not to laugh. Watch Philadelphia and try not to cry. Watch Sleepless in Seattle and try not to get lucky later. This man can act his way out of a paper bag, in fact one of his roles he got nominated for, at least I think, was while acting with a volleyball.

But, Tom Hanks has also done some dog movies. The Man with One Red Shoe still doesn't make sense to me now and the movie is at least 15 years old. Bonfire of the Vanities is one of the biggest dog bombs of the 1980's and 1990's. Some of his movies people just did not like.

Here is the question. Take the idea that it is a movie you won't like out of the equation. Like I will never be caught seeing a horror/slasher flick, no matter if Tom Hanks is in it and Scarlett Johanson promises to be naked in it. But, I will say I don't like horror movies as my reasoning.

How many people do you know that will not go see a Tom Hanks movie now because he did Bonfire of the Vanities 15 years ago? Answer that the next time you consider ignoring a Michael Moore movie.

12 comments:

Valtool said...

Is this in essence like the scoring infigure skating?

You take out the highest score and the lowest score and then you average the rest?

BTW where does Bachelor Party fit in? Loved that one back in the day but it has lost a bit of it's luster. And I never saw the oddball one he did about 2 years ago, the Ladykillers?

Tawnya Shields said...

Bravo!!! Very well put. I dislike that blond bitch bimbo political celebutard also. I know that is harsh but so is she. :o)~

I'm a fan of Michael Moore. The truth hurts. I am not one of the sheep so I ask questions that others are uncomfortable or afraid to ask. I think in a few years after much investigation. Ms. Coulter and other politicians will be eating some crow pie or is that a good ole piece of crapolla pie. :o)~

Great post. Got me up on my soapbox.

Anthony said...

Thanks for the kind words.

I think M. Night Shyamalan suffers, too. He made his best movie first, and although the next three were pretty good, they would have been better if he hadn't made Sixth Sense first.

Generally, I don't choose movies based on the actors. Few, if any make me want to see them for the actors alone. Streep, Dustin Hoffman and Hanks are three that come to mind, but mostly I'm in for the plot or even the director before the actors.

I'll give an actor a Mulligan for a bad movie. Unfortunately, people have a hard time seeing through politics when it comes to entertainment. The Dixie Chicks are a good example.

Anonymous said...

People are truly passionate about Moore, pro or against. Funny.

He's really popular in Europe anyway, when I lived in France we basically worshipped the guy. Now I live in North America I'm a little bit more critic of his work... still, his movies are a must seen.

Valtool said...

I'll simply ask this again... because no one responded before.

Why is it the people here with liberal political inclinations feel the need to use profanity and vulgarity when making reference to conservative politicians, talk hosts, and other media personalities?

Sparky Duck said...

well first off, this is the first time I have heard this question.

secondly, if you think bitch is a vulgarity, you may need to get out more.

thirdly, when non liberal bloggers and announcers call someone vile, even if they are a woman, there might be something to the thought that a certain woman blonde columnist is actually a crazy bitch

Valtool said...

I may not have asked the question so much as commented on the practice back onone of the threads about the President.

There the specifics were "ass clown'and "asshat" not to mention some direct references to myself which were less than flattering as well as unfounded and false.

Basically I'm trying to say that there's a lot of name-calling going on and I would associate that more with elementary school level debates.

Cinnamon Girl said...

People use profanity. Always have, always will.

Anonymous said...

Michael Moore ripped Wolf Blitzer a new one in his interview. That was so needed. Check it out on youtube if you haven't already. It's the 11 minute clip.

Anthony said...

Geez, I always thought "assclown" and "asshat" were polite ways to say something more vulgar.

Profanity is not limited to liberals. I think Dick Cheney had a certain piece of advice for a member of Congress. Something along the lines of "be fruitful and multiply yourself" but not in those exact words.

Profanity is not limited to ones political viewpoint.

Valtool said...

True, profanity is not limited to one's political viewpoint, but one's limited if they can only express themselves or make their arguments using profanity.

Anthony said...

well, that sounds like Dick.