Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #43-The Beach One


Thirteen Beaches Sparky Has Visited


Its Summertime, which means alot of lucky dudes and dudettes are off running around on various beaches enjoying themselves. So, to sort of connect with all those lucky you know whats, here are 13 beaches that Sparky has visited over my lifetime. If pictures are included, they are pictures I have taken. Enjoy and wash the sand off your feet before you leave.

1.Wildwood Crest, Wildwood Crest, NJ- For about 10 days every summer from 1979 to about 1987 or so, our family vacation every summer would include spending time with the Grandparents in a one bedroom, one bathroom suite in Wildwood. While it sounds unappetizing now, it was loads of fun when you were 10.

2.Jekyll Island, Georgia-I can barely remember this trip to the beach, because it was so long ago and I think it was actually raining when we were there. But the beach itself was small and kind of rocky. With limited memory, this was not one of my favorites. But, lets rememebr I was like 13, and at 13 you dont like anything.

3. Daytona Beach, Florida-A weird little beach, but again I was there with my parents and brother. So while the fact that the cars could drive on the sand was cool, I missed out on alot of the other "activities", so to speak.

4.Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey-This was where we would hang out on the summers in High School. If you wanted to hook up with a New Yorker under the boardwalk, this was one of the places.
pointpleasant

5.Canon Beach, Oregon
. This place is best known for Haystack Rock, as well as the fact that part of the movie Goonies was filmed there. It was gorgeous, but very cold on the feetsies. I have to find my pictures from there, they were cool.

6.Harrington Beach, University of Delaware-Ok, this is not a beach in the sense that there is sand and water. It was a grassy location between three dorms at my alma mater. They call it a beach because it is more dirt then grass, plus the coeds would always lay out here whenever it was close to warm enough to wear a bikini.

7.Sarasota, Florida-It may or may not be Sarasota, but it was darn close to there. Amazing Sunsets over the bay.
sarasota

8.Hilton Head Isle, South Carolina
-I have been to these beaches a couple of times and what I can remember is the waves really were kind of sucky. The sand was gorgeous and the sun was warm, especially for April.

9.Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii-I know I have mentioned this multiple times before, so just enjoy.
waikikipt1 013

10.Estrella Mountain Golf Course, Goodyear, Arizona-Ok, again, it is not really a beach with waves. But, I consider it a beach because the last time I played golf here with my father, I spent most of my time in the giant sand traps.

11.Ocean City, Maryland-It was not exactly beach weather when we were down there this year, and to me it was an odd little place if you were looking for the beach feel. I think it was because of the high rise condos right on the water. But, dipping your feet in the sand did make you long for summer.
Ocean City, MD

12. Wailea Beach at The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, Hawaii-This was the beach that was right off of our hotel. Breathtaking! Technically I believe it is called Polo Beach.
Wailea Beach

13.Black Sand Beach, Maui, Hawaii-Found on the Road to Hana. I would have sat here and looked at all the beautiful natural colors exploding around us for hours, if I could have.
blksand

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





34 comments:

Chelle said...

Waikiki. Also one of my favorites. Here's hoping I will see it again one day soon.

Anonymous said...

OK--I am so jealous you got to go to Hawaii.....the picures are amazing.

I went to Daytona when I was 21ish....I had a boyfriend, we fought, not so much fun. Should left his behind there!

Anonymous said...

Great photos -- now I want to go to the beach. I live in NJ so could hit the one in Point Pleasant this weekend

Lori said...

I love the beach!!! I wish I was there right now. Happy TT:)

Lazy Daisy said...

I've been to Jeykll Island, and Hilton Head, (also Tybee Island) only cause I lived in that area for 17 years. Good choices.

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

We both need to take our spouses back to Maui and see the red sand beach!
And, don't forget the green sand beach on the Big Island.
A very nice collection of beaches indeed Sparky!

Unknown said...

The two major beaches I've been to are Virginia Beach (we lived there for two year) and the beach in PEI. Both beautiful.

Tilly Greene said...

We did a black beach on the Road to Hana...brought a little back with me as well. Bad Tilly, bad!

Man, I need to feel some sand between my toes and soon...going through withdrawls.

Desert Songbird said...

Estrella Mountain Golf Course? Bwahahahahahah! You're too damn funny, Sparky.

Unknown said...

I desperately need a beach vacation.

Anonymous said...

Man, I'm jealous. You've been to some lovely beaches.

Anonymous said...

Songbird beat me to it!! You crack me up, I wish AZ had some beaches, we have plenty of sand, and we do have some gorgeous golf courses. :)

Valtool said...

You have some beautiful experiences here. I think I like the idea of a beach better than the reality. I get uncomfortable when I get hot, but I like the idea of walking on the beach when it is cool, maybe evening/night or off-season.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so jealous. I would give anything to be on any beach right now. Happy TT

Twyla said...

Totally jealous of Hawaii. But then again, you've never been to the beaches on our island. They're pretty kick ass too...only 30 degrees colder. LOL

The Gal Herself said...

Went to #9 and #13. ESPECIALLY loved #13. Sigh. Wish I could go back ... (Oh, and on a personal note, thank you for your personal note on the entry about my best friend. You're really a sweet and thoughtful duck, aren't you?)

Wylie Kinson said...

Hiya Sparky -- love the photos. You can make your own calendar!!

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Oh, for a few peaceful, quiet days at the beach! *insert screaming monsters running around getting into trouble*

Kate said...

I love your list! We live very close to Ocean City Maryland. Nothing beats walking on the boardwalk in the summertime! Happy TT!

Larissa said...

You must come back to Jekyll Island then! You have the wrong memories of this beautiful place. www.jekyllisland.com!

Special K ~Toni said...

Did you know that I use to live in Cape May when I was in high school???

I have been to 1, 2, 3, 8 and 11! Unfortunately I haven't been to Hawaii.... yet!

Denise said...

I love your list. Especially Hilton Head. I miss home terribly. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! We made 3 out of 13. Not bad. Next time you need to check out the Ko Olina - beautiful!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Excellent TT! Goonies was also filmed in Astoria Oregon. And I will wave at Haystack when I drive by it on Sunday!

Lisa Andel said...

Actually love Hilton Head, but I go off season. Been on several of the Hawaiian Islands and there's no place like it. (At least, not that I've found yet.)

Tink said...

Wow... I'm very happy with my beach (IJmuiden, The Netherlands), but it's nothing like those ones... I'd love to visit them!
Thanks for visiting my essentials TT.

Unknown said...

Being an Oregonian I have to state my love for Canon Beach. One of the most beautiful places on the Oregon coast. I personally prefer Waimanalo to Waikiki. Great TT. Thanks

Ed
http://edsthread.co.nr

Tawnya Shields said...

Great pics. I have been to a lot of beaches in Florida but that is about it. I don' t care for the overcrowded ones. Blech. I do like the beaches where military familes go. Much nicer. :o)

Anonymous said...

You are sooo incredibly lucky.
I love the beach too.
Thanks for visiting,
Frances

Unknown said...

Your Ocean City, MD photo looks just like my OC photos from this year. we must have had the same weather!

My maid of honor's husband (a New Jersey transplant to Oregon) enjoyed his time down on the OC boardwalk because it reminded him of the resort boardwalks in Jersey. He didn't comment on it as compared to other beaches, and I've only ever been to OC, Orient Point in NY (hardly a barefoot-stroll beach) and some little public spots on Massachusetts' South Shore in the Quincy area (more barefoot-stroll friendly, but too cold to take off my coat the few times I visited).

Next year I'll try to talk my husband into a week at the beach - a different beach. Perhaps one of the Carolinas. :)

samulli said...

Nice list.
I'm actually not so much of a beach person, but Hawaii looks great. I especially like black sand beaches. Found one of those in New Zealand and it was fantastic. Well, like any beach down there, basically - only with shiny black sand. LOL

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

we have been to most of them as well, not oregon though. what about sanibel? beautiful for shelling. ducks can go there! ha ha

smiles, bee

Jenny McB said...

I don't know what I am more jealous of, the Hawaii beaches where you have been or the fact that you are golfing today. Lovely pictures, I agree about the condo thing on beaches, kind of takes away the charm.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Given that I've been to very few of these beaches (although many others), I feel the need to catch up.

I'm just back from a quick trip, though. This new beach ambition of mine will have to wait ... until next month, at least.