Monday, July 09, 2007

Poetry Train Grabs the Indigo Girls

I am a huge fan of theres. They got me through alot of rough and stressful moments while in college, just from listening to there simple words. It was almost like sometimes, someone else got it.

This one was a favorite in my moldy lonely days and I am adding it to the Poetry Train, which of course I am encouraging all of you to stop by and check out today.

Love Will Come to You

guess i wasn't the best one to ask
me myself with my face pressed up against love's glass
to see the shiny toy i've been hoping for
the one i never can afford
the wide world spins and spits turmoil and the nations toil for peace
but the paws of fear upon your chest
only love can soothe that beast
and my words are paper tigers
no match for the predator of pain inside her
i say love will come to you
hoping just because i spoke the words that they're true
as if I've offered up a crystal ball to look through
where there's now one there will be two

9 comments:

Blog said...

Oooo...I've always loved the Indigo Girls, too.... Great poetry....

Julia Phillips Smith said...

"hoping just because i spoke the words that they're true"

I can relate to this line. I often find myself soothing people with words of confidence and comfort, all the while having nothing to back up my claim that everything will work out. Good to see other people have been there, too. Nice post for the Poetry Train.

Lisa Andel said...

Actually, I like your introduction better than the lyrics. That's what I relate to the most. Songs that have spoken to me during trying times.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

All songs speak to me. No wonder I write about what I do...

My sister showed me the beauty of the Indigo Girls. Yep, me, your resident headbanger, likes the Indigo Girls.

shhh. Let's keep that our little secret.

Red Garnier said...

Beautiful intro and beautiful, beautiful poetic words. I just watched Music and Lyrics and loved the whole song-making process. Your post reminded me of it! =) Take care of my spidey, Sparky Duck! lol.

Joy Renee said...

i am only vaguely familiar with the name of this group as being a group--as in musical. but i can see from this, i've been missing out on something special. i don't know what they sound like or if i would be able to understand the words when sung, but i love the words as written here. if all their lyrics are as dense with image adn metaphor, i really need to read more of them.

thanx for visiting my poem.

Slackermommy said...

This is a cool meme!

Rebecca said...

I don't know who the Indigo Girls are.... but I like the poem :P

Rhian said...

natch i adore the Indigo Wenches - think i told you i saw them playing the Mellow Mushroom in Atlanta back in 1980.

This was a terrific line:
and my words are paper tigers
no match for the predator of pain inside her