Monday, July 09, 2007

My First Manic Monday-Seven



First, I freely and happily admit I am not a Yankee fan. In fact, I am a Yankee Hater, but when I got the topic for the Manic Monday this week, I had to go with the first thing that popped into my head.

Manic Monday-7



Mickey Mantle was the Number 7 for the New York Yankees. Even people that were not Yankee fans appreciated how he would play through multiple injuries and hangovers to still be one of the greatest New York Yankees ever. He was involved in the Home Run chase of 1961 to break Babe Ruth's single season record with Roger Maris and is the last ballplayer to win the Major League Triple Crown, which means he lead all players in both leagues in Batting Average, Home Runs and RBI's. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1974 in his first year of eligibility.





Want more Manic Monday, well click here

12 comments:

Mary said...

Very cool post! My husband hates the Yakees too, but is very into baseball and its history.

Happy MM!

Anonymous said...

I'm a Philly--ite too--now living in the Southwest for a little while, but my family still lives there (in Bridesburg) :) Great blog you have here! Welcome to MM.

Anthony said...

I'm inclined to agree with George Costanza, who thought that Seven would make a great name.

The Gal Herself said...

Oh, I loved The Mick! Back when I was a wee one, when there was no interleague play and in my world there was no doubt that the greatest ball player was Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks, I still loved Mickey Mantle. He showed up on Mr. Ed and other sitcoms and was just the most charismatic guy ever. Then I learned about his buoyant playing career and his sad personal life, and watched him grow old and battle illness with such tragic grace ... Sniffle. I'm getting verklempt. (BTW, I hate Bonds. Just felt like saying it.)

Rebecca said...

LoL @ Anthony!! And I think I may become a Yankees fan just to spite my ex (who's from Boston) :-0

Erin said...

Blah blah blah - he was still a NY Yankee!!

*Signed a devoted Red Sox Fan :)

Anonymous said...

Yay for Mickey Mantle! :-D

Cyndi said...

Hello I guess I'm a outnumbered around here being that I'm a obsessed yankee fan. your comment makes more sense beingthat your a yankee hater.:) "the yankees unting lesser teams in hate for years." cyndi

Travis Cody said...

Welcome to Manic Monday! You're off to a great start with this post.

Sarge Charlie said...

ok sparky, you were right, this is a good one.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

good one sparky!

smiles, bee

Desert Songbird said...

Your first Manic Monday? Really? Huh.