Sunday, July 29, 2007

Blogathon 31.48 The Cheesesteak

Ask a native Philadelphian where the best cheese steak is and you will surely get a wide variety of answers. Heck in this household, if you ask Mrs Duck, she will say Steve's and if you asked me, I would vote for Chinks in the Northeast. But what do I know I am from Jersey, originally.

The cheese steak, known as a Philly cheese steak everywhere else is one of the culinary delights that Philadelphia is known for. You can get one almost everywhere, but you can only get a good one certain places. I remember when I first started dating Mrs Duck, I ordered one at a diner when out with her parents and I thought there eyes would fall out of there head. When I said a Cheese Steak is a Cheese Steak, I though the diner would collapse.

There are two very well known Cheesesteak places in Philadelphia, Geno's and Pat's. Pat's is said to be the first originator of the steak sandwich in 1930, though Geno's claims to be the first to put cheese on the sandwich. They are rivals, in fact the two shops are right across the street from each other.

And when it comes to the cheese steak, you can order a sandwich like so

"whiz with" means cheese whiz and onions on your sandwich
"provolone without" means provolone cheese and no onions.

And if you ever go to either of these establishments, don't delay, because you will get nasty looks and run over by the people behind you. You are there for cheese steaks, no reason to look at the menu.

On a seperate note, another contest coming soon...

4 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

good luck honey, i'm gone for the night... and i always thought you ordered the cheesesteak "wit" meaning "with cheese"...

smiles, bee

Wylie Kinson said...

I've never had an authentic cheese steak (I suspect the ones in Bermuda were a VERY poor imitation).
Yet another reason (besides the Eagles) to visit Philly !!

Anthony said...

I remember being in line behind a guy at the Geno's at Citizen's Bank Ballpark. He was wearing a Cardinals cap, so I figured....

anyway, he stares at the menu board for what seemed like forever, then hesitantly started, "I'll ... have ... a .........cheese ... steak ..."

No kidding, buddy. The girl at the counter started the eye-roll as he finished up and the machine-like ordering could continue.

At least he ordered in English.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

after i went to bed i remembered the "wit" meant with onions.... kept me awake thinking about one! ha ha

smiles, bee