Saturday, July 28, 2007

Blgthon 30.48 a Dragon Favorite


The reasons I have found Dragon are varied and many actually. She is a member of the Monkey Barn, which is one of the snarkiest groups on the internet this side of Perez Hilton. She is always tweaking my pirate, piratess, blogging buccaneer friend Lady Jane Scarlett. And she is an excellent, excellent cook. I have made a few of her recipes and they always get rave reviews. This one got reviews beyond raves. Mrs Duck's coworkers were going to track me down to get the recipe after she shared her leftovers. And its a Dragon original, so this is all her hard work.

Dragon's Sausage and Potato Gnocchi

serves 4-6

1 18 0z package of Potato Gnocchi
3 smoked pork sausages (turkey sausage works great too), sliced
1/4 cup of chopped onions (Hyperion, you can skip this part)
1 clove of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons of butter
pinch of hot pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves
1/2 tablespoon of fresh oregano, chopped
1 cup of frozen peas, run under water to thaw
1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
salt & pepper to taste

1. Prepare the gnocchi according to package instructions.

2. While the gnocchi is cooking, heat up a skillet with 2 tablespoons of butter and add the sausage and onions. Cook until sausage is browned and onions are soft.

3. On medium heat, add the garlic, hot pepper flakes (optional), thyme and oregano. Cook for 1 minute or until the garlic is softened.

4. Drain the gnocchi, reserving a little of the cooking water. Add the gnocchi to the sausage mixture. Shake the skillet so the gnocchi doesn't stick. Its ok if the gnocchi browns a bit on the bottom.

5. Add the peas and remaining tablespoon of butter. Salt and pepper to taste. If needed, add a little of the cooking water to thin out the sauce.

6. Top with parmesam cheese. Let the cheese melt slightly before serving

picture courtesy of Dragon's Kitchen.

can you tell I just ate dinner?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Now I'm hungry.

Dragon, hurry up and open that cafe, then give my husband a job. His culinary degree is wasted on Marylanders' taste buds. Can you believe he has to prepare soft shell crabs (#$%#^#$^@Q) for a living?

And feed people who want their salads chopped up for them? Gah.

I forgive you Canadians the poutine, for this recipe alone.

Anonymous said...

I've been a bit out of it for the past while, neglecting my monitees a bit, but I'm still here, promise. ;)

It's 5am and I'm huuuuungry. That looks yummy.

Hyperion said...

This is an amazing dish. The secret (in my opinion) is the fresh herbs. You cannot go with dried. That and her imagination. Who would have thought to put all this together?

Hyperion said...

By the way, with those cheddar or mozza sausages? Unfreakingbelievable.

Sparky Duck said...

If I was not already stuffed Hype, you would be making me hungry all over again!