Thursday, May 10, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #34-The Cover Me One


Thirteen of Sparky's Favorite Cover Songs


The Ipod is my favorite little invention in a long long time. And, its full of hundreds and hundreds of songs. I also love cover songs, some people take some classic songs and sometimes make them better. So, here's 13 of them I love.


1. How Soon is Now by Love Spit Love. This is a cover of an original song by Morrissey. The song was also featured in Charmed, where it became a real big hit. It is also one of the only songs I can not find to download to my Ipod.

2.Two Thousand Miles by Coldplay. Its a Christmas song and a cover from the Pretenders. But their is just something so haunting and brillant about the song, its the only Christmas song I listen to year round.

3.We Are Trying to Stay Alive-Wyclef Jean. A great cover of the Bee Gees Staying Alive. Its a hipped up version that still keeps the original feel.


4.Rocky Top by Love Seed Mama Jump. A classic Delaware cover band that brings back some really hazy memories. This is a cover song for the University of Tennessee band and I did not even know there were lyrics to this song.

5.Landslide by the Smashing Pumpkins-This is a Fleetwood Mac cover and the Smashing Pumpkins did a great job of allowing the haunting lyrics of this song to come through in their version.

6.Time After Time by Matchbox Twenty
-Its odd to hear a cover of a song from the 1980's but this cover of a Cyndi Lauper song is great. Rob Thomas puts a great twist on it.

7.Supernatural by Live
-This song is on the Sweet Relief II compilation CD in a tribute to Vic Chesnutt. I would not have known this was a cover song except for where I found it. Though I can't find it anywhere to share.

8.Turn the Page by Metallica-A cover of a Bob Seger song, though they make it sound even more raw then he did. The video is also very raw and may not be safe for the kiddies.

9.Daniel by Fuel. A cover that is totally different from the way it was presented by Elton John. Much rougher then the sweet piano version that Sir John did and it also makes an explanation behind the song much easier to grasp too.

10.Dancing Barefoot by U2 A cover of a Patti Smith song, though I did not know it was a Patti Smith song originally. Heard it first on the soundtrack for Threesome.

11.All Along the Watchtower by the Indigo Girls
-A kickass live, rare cover of a Bob Dylan/Jimi Hendrix classic. Amy Ray gives a rough growl to the entire song and it sounds like those acoustic guitars are on fire.

12.Tiny Dancer by Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters
. The greatest version of this song ever.


13.In Your Eyes by Jeffrey Gaines. An amazing cover of Peter Gabriel, though of course we would think its amazing, since it is Mrs Duck's and I's wedding song.



Well, there is the list, though it took me alot longer to put together then I thought it would. If anyone would like this list burned to a CD, I have all the songs but the first one, so just drop me a line and we will do some music swapping.








Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



28 comments:

Unknown said...

Great list Sparky..Love your wedding song. I need to check out the Matchbox 20 song..I love Mr Rob

Rhian said...

i love Patti Smith. And i fear i'm one of those annoying people that hate cover tunes if the original was a favorite. Why mess with perfection? I grant you there are the rare cases where the cover is better than the original. Rare though.

Twyla said...

The first version I ever heard of 'Landslide' was from Smashing Pumpkins. I didn't know until a few years later that it wasn't their song. I love it...and still like their version the best. I also LOVE Dave's version of Tiny Dancer. He's one of my favourite musicians ever.
Oh, and Fuel's version of 'Daniel' is in my list of top 10 fave songs of all time. Metallica did an awesome job with all the cover tunes on that album. My fave though, was 'Loverman'. :-)
We SOOOO have the same taste in music. :-) I'll stop now, but I could comment on every song.

Desert Songbird said...

I'm a purist - I love The Pretenders "Two Thousand Miles." Ms. Hynde's voice - like silk.

Also, gotta go with Mr. Gabriel's "In Your Eyes." Was my wedding song way back in 1991, and I just included his video in my anniversary post of last week. Sigh. Good memories...

Special K ~Toni said...

LOVE LOVE anything by Metallica! Fab list!

Webmiztris said...

nice! I had never heard that Tiny Dancer version before! Dave Grohl is too cool. :)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Yep, Turn the Page improved in the hands of Hetfield. And then some.

As for the others... good choices, all. I assume, though, that you haven't heard Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal? DEFINITELY worth checking out. Another case where the cover is better than the original.

And did you know Tori Amos covered Teen Spirit???

Cinnamon Girl said...

Sparky that is a hell of a list. Karmic cause I used a line from Dancing Barefoot this week and the Love Spit Love version of that song was referenced too!

Anonymous said...

Cool list Sparky!
Dancing Barefoot is one of my favorite U2 songs.
And Mr. Gabriel's "In Your Eyes", makes for the perfect wedding song.

What did you decide to wear for the wedding?

Have a great Thursday!

Valtool said...

I definitely know and like 1,3,6, & 8. If you find Hooterization - Greatest Hits of the Hooters (a Philly-based band) you'll find another cover of T after T as they wrote it for Lauper.

Robin said...

I usually tend to prefer the originals to covers, but I have to admit that the Indigo Girls did a great job with All Along The Watchtower.

Deborah said...

Great list! I never heard the live version of Wycleff...very cool

Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy TT.

JAM said...

The only ones of these I've heard are Metallica's Turn The Page, which I think is awesome; and Landslide by Smashing Pumpkins, another great cover.

Nice list!

Chelle Y. said...

I don't think I have ever listened to any of those songs. :)

Barbara said...

I don't have an iPod, but a grandchild does, and they all use it.

Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

I think that's a pretty good list. I can imagine it took a lot of time to put it together! Thanks for going to the trouble. Wish I had an ipod!

Tink said...

Great list! Sometimes covers are better than the original.
Thanks for visiting my food TT. "Old" cheese means it has ripened for a long time. The taste ripens too, very salty but not too much.

Penny said...

Sorry, after I entered my info in Mr Linky I had a computer crash of sorts!

I have Tiny Dancer by Dave Grohl on my player, and Landslide by Smashing Pumpkins is on my growing list of songs to download! I need to check out some of the others!

Happy TTing!

Anonymous said...

I saw Jeffrey Gaines once. I think he was opening for Melissa Etheridge.

Great round up of songs, here.

I love my ipod, too.

I moved my blog.

Carmen said...

Don't know what I'd do without my iPod. :)

Urology Surgery in India said...


Great to hear your positive experience!

Health Yatra said...

That was a VERY interesting one! Seriously interesting.

Diseases and Conditions said...

That was a VERY interesting one! Seriously interesting.

Stem Cell Therapy For Optic Nerve in India said...

Thanks for great article sharing...

Stem Cell Therapy for Dermatomyositis in India said...

Greetings and thank you very much for share

Stem Cell Therapy for Diffuse Axonal Injury in India said...

Thank you, that was just an awesome post!!!

Stem Cell Therapy for Encephalopathy in India said...

Thank you, that was just an nice post!!!

Stem Cell Therapy for Inclusion Body Myositis in India said...

Thank you so much share nice article