Monday, May 14, 2007

The OCMD Experience, part 1

As you can see, we are back safe and sound from our little weekend sojourn to Ocean City, Maryland. As I usually love to do, I will provide you, my faithful readers, with a travelogue, so you can see how much fun we had and also so I can give my memory a little jump start in the future. So, away we go...

Traffic in Center City Philadelphia is always bad, now with all of the construction and walkers. Traffic on a sunny Friday afternoon is even worse. Traffic on a sunny Friday afternoon, after a political rally in Love Park is at its most possible worst! So, it should not be at all surprising that I was a tad bit cranky by the time I picked up Mrs Duck from her Center City office at a little bit after 1:30 pm. I could have already used a drink! Luckily, their was little issue getting out of the city and then the state.
Then, their was Delaware. If you ever travel on I-95 you think Delaware is just a little blip on the map that you could easily miss while snoozing. Oh contrare! When you have to drive the whole state, Delaware is just as long and as boring as cutting through New Jersey. Mind numbing 2 and a half hours. And once you get south of Dover, their is very little going on. The lack of Target/Wal-Mart/Lowes makes the chances at a rest stop less likely. I now see why when I was in college, Northern Delaware people could easily make fun of Southern Delaware people. All that was missing was a kid on a porch with a banjo.
One good decision I, the navigator as well as main pilot, made was to take 113 south as opposed to Route 1 south. We were able to avoid the stop and go traffic of Rehobeth and Dewey Beach, which made us able to arrive with a chance to freshen up before the happy hour on the bay at Macky's. Which was nice, because by the time we got there, I could have used a drink (as I mentioned above) Free Drinks are even better.
It turned into a beautiful night, spent catching up with the Senator and Red, The Cardinal family, the Judge and Fire girl and all the rest of the cast of characters that Mrs Duck has known for many years even before I graced her life. Plus, we were able to smoke at the bar, something unheard of in the city of Brotherly Love. Drinks, a good dinner at the Shark Restaurant and a chance to get to bed before midnight all made for a nice start to the weekend of celebration.

Now, I know your wondering, how was the wedding and what did your favorite feathered friend end up wearing. Oh, I guess that will have to wait for part 2, now wont it?

6 comments:

Twyla said...

Wintersleep's singer reminds me a lot of Adam Duritz from Counting Crows. He sounds like some one else too, but I just can't place it.

Jay said...

Always making us wait :)
Sounds good so far though.
(I hope the rest of the weekend went as well!)

Blog said...

But I CAN'T WAIT FOR PART 2!!!??? MUST SEE PICTURES!!! Smoking in a bar...? WOW! Such a foreign concept! Must have felt like outer space or something....

Anonymous said...

So far so good....How come we have to wait?

Tug said...

Dude, you've never driven through Wyoming or Eastern Montana, have you... ;-)

Anthony said...

I'm with ya on the Delaware deal. I've made that drive a couple of times, and I'd just as soon sleep through it - but driving makes that difficult.

I drove through the desert from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon, and it was more exciting than the Delaware trip.