Friday, May 18, 2007

Maybe the best cake Ever!

I am not the baker in the family. I don't know if it is the lack of patience, or the fact that occasionally my cookies turn out like rocks. I will admit to making some Christmas cookies every year, but that is more out of either boredom, or the need to work off some pre holiday energy then out of some need to make sugary confection delicacies.

That may have changed now. First, with the addition of the Kitchenaid Artisan Mixer. What a wonder machine that is. Flour does not fly all over the kitchen, and creaming butter is one of the easiest little tricks in the world. I don't know how we ever survived without it before. Big hugs and kisses to Mrs Duck, since this was the one kitchen item that she wanted desperately before the wedding. And she even got it in the brilliant yellow color.

As for cake, Dragon's Kitchen had a great new recipe for a Lemon Blueberry Bundt cake. Oh my goddess, Dragon is a super genius. This cake came out so light and airy, with that hint of lemon. Most times my bundt cakes are good, but as heavy as Rosie O'Donnell. Not this time, it was more like Calista Flockhart. I think it might have been the buttermilk, but I am not sure. Next time I make it more blueberries. Surf around Dragon's website, she has alot of great recipes their. This is the second one I have tried and my intial foray, a pasta carbonara, was just as delicious.

Back to the cake, it calls for Limoncello, which is not always the easiest liquer to find. I mentioned this to Dragon and she said that you can substitute more lemon juice in the glaze. Do yourself a favor, find some Limoncello though, it only takes a little bit in the recipe and you can store the rest in the fridge. It tastes great all frozen chilled on its own.

Now, to get more blueberries for next time!

8 comments:

Erin said...

Now look what you did?? You made me VERY hungry ;)

Tug said...

Such a pretty power tool. ummm mixer thingy.


heh

Dragon said...

You got the Kitchenaid Artisan Mixer? I'm so jealous! Glad you enjoyed the cake and discovered the limoncello. Beware though, limoncello is very very addictive. :)

ZuZu said...

KitchenAid mixers are a wonderous thing, aren't they?? Mom suprised me a few Christmases ago with the bright red one, and I loveitloveitloveit when I make muffins. Did you get all the fancy schmancy attatchments? They are so, so great! (Though in truth I covet the pink one!)

Didn't you do some kind of Oreo cookie one time when we had one of those pigouts at work? Something with Oreos and coconut if I remember right. I thought you were into baking, too, besides cooking. Try Alton Brown's book, "I'm Just Here For the Food 2: Baking". I use his basic muffin mix for everything, and I experiment a lot with flavors. Oh, and beware the Limoncello; we all saw what happened to Danny Devito!!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I love to cook.. don't like baking ... too exact... I like to "play" with recipes

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I agree, life with a Kitchenaid mixer is a marvelous thing :) That recipe looks good, as does the site, thanks for the link!

Yum, eat a piece of that cake for me, it sounds so divine. Actually, I better go find me something to eat, you've made me crave something sweet!

Desert Songbird said...

You cook.

And bake (now).

Wow.

My hubby doesn't know the difference between a skillet and a saute pan. Heck, he doesn't know the difference between a wooden spoon and a slotted spoon! I love him anyway, but I'd adore him if he would learn to cook.

Christie O. said...

First. LOVE the kitchen aid mixer. LOVE LOVE LOVE! Second. So right about the Limoncello. I make a kick-ass lemon cheesecake thingy with a biscotti crust that calls for it and it rocks, let me tell you. And I don't normally toot my own horn when it comes to cooking. Kudos on the cake!