Thursday, May 17, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #35 The Cookbook One


Thirteen of Sparky's Favorite Cookbooks


I am a cookbook junkie. I am always asking for them at any chance I get and whenever we are in a bookstore, I have to just stop and drool. So, here are Thirteen of my favorites, that I use all the time.

1. Biker Billy Cooks with Fire-everything he does is Hot Hot Hot
2.X-Trememe Cuisine-A cookbook that I got on sale, featuring recipes from many X-Games stars. Amazingly, they can cook.
3. Seminole Fan-Fare-a collection of recipes from Florida State University Alumni. Some great tailgating food ideas.
4.Cooking Round the Clock by Rachael Ray-My first foray into the 30 minute meal phenomenon. The start of the RR addiction.
5.Food to Die For by Patricia Cornwell-A gift a received from a now departed friend. I have not used it for cooking, but it still stays on my shelf.
6.Mr Food Cooks Real American-My first cookbook, which has been well used. This is obvious from all the grease splatter stains and sauce spots on it.
7.Express Lane Meals by Rachael Ray-Rachael shows you how to cook a meal in 30 minutes with just a few ingredients. What can't this woman do?
8.Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home-A vegetarian cookbook that doesn't taste vegetarian. Try the fish packet recipes!
9.A Taste of the South Carolina Coast-a little mini cookbook that features some great recipes from Low Country restaurants.
10.365: No Repeats by Rachael Ray-Ok, I may be over addicted to RR
11.Cookshelf Mexican-I got this book for $2 at a Michaels Craft Store. The recipes so far have been worth 10 times that.
12.Every Days a Party by Emeril-Not an easy cookbook to use, but if you have patience, the food is great, fattening, but great.
13.Top Secret Restaurant Recipes-Wanna know how to make a Moon Over My Hammy? This is the book for you!

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



33 comments:

Rhian said...

got all excited when i saw number 3...wahoo native american cookbook... awww - not sports AGAIN!!! dang it.

Anna Mary said...

Wow, can you stop by my house at dinnertime sometime? I'm hungry now!

Twyla said...

I don't even own ONE cookbook. LOL I hate cooking...but you can send some of your food my way anytime. I do have a box of my mother's old recipes...that's close to a cook book. :-)

Deborah said...

I love the Moosewood books.

Unknown said...

These sound awesome. I use the cookbook Crazy Plates all the time. It has the yummiest stuff. :)

Chelle said...

I'm also a cookbook junkie. In fact, when we remodeled the kitchen, we designed it around my collection.

Cinnamon Girl said...

If you are into Italina, give Giada DiLorentis or Mario Batali a whirl. Giada got me hooked on a pasta dish about a month ago and since it is about 5 mins worth of work I have been eating it a lot. Hrmm.....dinner plan solved!

Chelle Y. said...

I take it you like to cook? :)

dawnae said...

I love to find really old cookbooks. I have the original first betty crocker cook book...it is so fun to see the recipes. Things have changed a lot.

Darla said...

ooh, cookbooks--my favorite fiction! :)

When we moved to Germany, I left most of my cookbooks behind, thinking I could do without them for 3 or 4 years. Yeah, right. I've just bought new ones. LOL

Marshamlow said...

I am also addicted to cookbooks, this is a great idea for a list. I have the RR around the clock one. It is great, my favorite so far in confetti corn. Then again I love everything she does.

Anonymous said...

How cool! #5 was given to me as a gift as well. It is SO nice to see someone else who enjoys cookbooks like I do. If I had my way I would have one wall in my kitchen just for cookbooks. Great list!

Anonymous said...

Not only am I pretty sure I still have my #5, but I recently acquired the Nero Wolfe cookbook. I also have a pamphlet with Muppet Recipes (that I've had since Grade School.

I also have about a kajillion cookbooks. Alas - I wish I was an adventurous a cook as my cookbook collection would make me appear.

Lyn said...

recipe.com too :-)
Lyn from Bloggin' Outloud

Unknown said...

the things you learn in Thursday 13. Neat list..Im impressed and Im sure that Mrs Duck is as well

Anonymous said...

I guess you like Rachel, eh?

I love all the Moosewood books.

Wish I wasn't so tired at night. I would stop cooking the same thing over and over and over. My kids keep boycotting me on chicken.

Anonymous said...

I *heart* the Moosewood books and one of my favorite cookbooks of all time is RR 365.

Happy TT.

Denise Patrick said...

I like cooking, but I prefer comfort food, so I rarely make anything new. Sad, I know!

Happy TT!

Wylie Kinson said...

I have a ton of cookbooks but never use them. Don't know why... I probably should! I just seem to wing it :)
I'll have to check some of these out - specially #13, if only for the laughs.

Thanks for visiting my TT!

Rebecca said...

Yum - happy TT13!

Anonymous said...

The best thing I make for dinner?

Reservations.

Period.

The Gal Herself said...

No Giada? I have a (straight) male friend who could watch her on the Food Network for hours.

And, since you like baseball and cooking and are multi-faceted, it's time we learn more about you. You are now hereby, officially tagged for the latest meme.

Amie Stuart said...

poor Rhiann! LOL I just got my first RR cookbook!

Lori said...

If I liked to cook, I would have ran right out an bought each and every one of those;)

Two Voices Publishing said...

Great list! I should try to No Repeats - I'm so tired of the kids whining, "This again??"

Michelle Pillow said...

I just bought a cookbook, actually it's on preorder at Amazon.com, lol

I won't use it, that's why I married a chef *grin*, but got it because it has recipes I submitted to it inside.

Michelle
http://michellepillow.com/authorblog/

Book is:
The Write Ingredients
and it's listed under Lori Foster as the author

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I think that's the Emeril cookbook we have; I'm not sure and am too lazy to get the step ladder and climb up to the cabinet for the fourth time today to check. Sorry.

Happy TT, love. Make Mrs. Duck some great stuff from those books.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Ah, a T13 after my own heart! I love cookbooks, and I admit, I not only read them like books some time, but {gasp}, sometimes I just look at them lovingly and never cook from them.

P.S. Wow, I had no idea you could buy $2 cookbooks in Michaels, much less that they'd be any good. I'll have to keep an eye out :)

Anthony said...

Ooooh ... cooking. That's what they do at Applebee's.

:)

Anonymous said...

Moosewood Cooks At Home is one of my favorite cookbooks.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Some of my fav cookbooks are the "group" ones put out by various organizations and also our family did one

pssssst don't let Matt-man know you have a thing for RR, his head might explode in anger

Anonymous said...

I have 3 of the mousewood restaurant cookbooks in my collection, back from the vegetarian days I keep considering revisiting.

Mama Kelly

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks