Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #19-Mooosic



As you could see from the Appetizer in the last post, music is something very important in my life. This weeks Thursday Thirteen is the Thirteen most popular groups on Sparkys Ipod. And were doing this one like a countdown.

13.Evanescence-11 songs-Favorite Tune-My Immortal. Amy Lee has one of the best voices out there, is hot as heck and there writing and musical arrangements are something else.

12.Simon & Garfunkel-12 Songs-Favorite "The Boxer":I had a renewed appreciation for them after the movie Garden State, even though there was only one song by S&G on the souhndtrack. But I remembered how much my folks liked them, and as you can see the list grew.

11.Toad the Wet Sprocket-12 songs-Fave:Fly From Heaven:A great songwriter and a great use of the more acoustic sound. I realize now that there writing was a bit more faith based then I recall, but Toad helped me through alot of tough moments in College.

10.Snow Patrol-13 songs-Fave:Run (especially live): A Scottish based band that apparently has had a cult following across the ocean, but hit it big here after Live 8 and the inclusion of one of there songs in a Grey's Anatomy Season 2 Finale.

9.Live-13 Songs-Fave:Supernatural: A great band out of York, PA. Another one of those bands that incorporated there religious beliefs in there music, but you could never really tell. There first concert I ever saw at College, just before Throwing Copper exploded, I knew Lightening Crashes was going to be a great song the first time I heard it.

8.Bon Jovi-14 songs-Fave:Bed of Roses-Im from NJ, and was in my formative years in the 80's and 90's, so it should be no surprise that New Jersey's greatest hair band would be on the list. What has been a surprise is the fact that Bon Jovi has been able to survive this long, cranking out great tunes just last year.

7.Pearl Jam-17 Songs-Fave:Yellow Ledbetter: I was always bigger on Pearl Jam then Nirvana when it came to grunge. You really had to pick one or the other, and the Album Ten just hit home more for me. Some of there old songs still resonate if you listen to the words now.

6.Goo Goo Dolls-19 songs-Fave:Iris: It was very hard to pick a favorite Goo Goo Dolls song, since alot of them are my favorites. Iris, Black Balloon, Broadway, Better Days are all great. I loved them from Superstar Car Wash. What I want to know is how there original drummer feels, who quit after the first album and missed the explosion of the band.

5.Coldplay-23 Songs-Fave:The Scientist: Yes, they can be a bit wimpy sounding and yes they are not a band that your going to proudly declare as your own if your a young guy. But, Chris Martin is very talented and the whole group rights most of there own songs and draws off experience. And right now they rule England.

4.Indigo Girls-26 Songs-Fave:Galileo: One of my all time favorite bands. When it comes to writing there maybe no one better. Emily's voice is hauntingly beautiful and Amy hits just the right amount of growl aggression. I could talk about them forever, but I will say I do not think there is one bad album.

3.Bruce Springsteen-30 Songs:Fave Land of Hopes and Dreams:I lived about 10 minutes from where Bruce grew up and about 15 minutes from where he moved his family to, so this is just a duh for me.

2.Sarah McLachlan-36 Songs-Fave:Hold On:We saw her live and there were moments where I just felt my eyes welling up with emotion because she just sings sooooo beautifully. Plus, she is easy on the eyes. Gorgeous writer, gorgeous singer and my favorite Canadian.

1.U2-48 Songs-Fave:Bad-It was hard to pick a favorite, since there are just so many songs that I love by them. Try and get your hands on the Bad version from Wide Awake in America and you will see why I picked this one as my favorite. Plus, they dont mind using there power musically to be forward to a good cause like the One campaign. Another group I could just go on and on and on about.

Heard of any of these groups? Are they on your Ipod?

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





38 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the Indigo Girls!!! I actually like most of the bands on your ipod. I just got and ipod for my upcoming birthday and I've got to get busy! Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!

Mia said...

I love Evanescence and Sarah McLaughlin.

Anonymous said...

We have similar tastes.

We love Evanescence.

I love that song by Snow Patrol.

i saw Bon Jovi w. Skid Row. And, it was awesome. It is wild that they are still kickin' it.

I like a little Pearl Jam and a little Nirvana.

Goo Goo Dolls rock. Love them!

I saw Sarah in concert, too. She was amazing!

Twyla said...

We SOOOOO have the same taste in music. :-)
I loved this TT.

Anonymous said...

GREAT post! I really like all of these groups (especially Evanescence, Live, and Toad) except for Snow Patrol, only because I haven't heard any of their music before. Maybe I will have to look them up and listen.

Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

I just love the song My Immortal. Great list.

Valtool said...

You'll have to check my TT as I did 13 memorable concert experiences.

I did not list it, but I saw the New Jersey Syndicate Tour of Bon Jovi and Skid Row in '89. It's weird thinking Jon's been at it for over 20 years already!

Colleen Gleason said...

Ooooh...Bad is one of my all-time fave U2 songs. Love it. I actually love that whole album.

I also love Sarah McLachlan...I think her Solace album is one of my faves too.

I have a few Coldplay songs I like--The Scientist--but not too many stick in my head.

I was never a big Bon Jovi fan, believe it or not, child of the '80s that I am....

Everyone's been raving about Evanescence. I have to check them (her?) out.

Thanks for coming by my TT!

Jeannine said...

Great Songs!
Got them all!
Happy TT :-)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Evanescence!!! Have you heard the whole new disc yet? Is it any good?

I, too, am a bigger Pearl Jam fan than Nirvana, but they both lose out to Alice in Chains. Layne Staley was quite the character; his loss is immense.

(oh, and Bon Jovi rocks, too, but saying that loudly can hurt my image)

Happy TT, oh favored Duck. (yeah, that's a compliment!)

Anonymous said...

I really love Evanescence! She has such a haunting voice.

Thanks for visiting me today. :)

Anonymous said...

Girl everything on that list is like my fave! LMAO! You have some great taste :)

Happy TT!

Tink said...

I don't have an iPod (want one though!), but a lot of those would be on it! I don't know Toad the Wet Sprocket.
Thanks for visiting my art TT!

Anonymous said...

You know U2 is #1 on my list, too! Great taste in music.

Kukka-Maria said...

Love Indigo Girls! Galileo (fav), Ghost, Closer to Fine (of course), Kid Fears (love Michael Stipe in that), etc.

Snow Patrol is a new favorite of mine. I love Run, but I have to admit that I have a soft spot for Chasing Cars...even though it's been played out on every station!

Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my TT!

Darla said...

Wow, a music TT in which I actually recognize some of the artists! Unfortunately, it's the oldies I recognize. :)

No ipod here--I barely remember to turn the radio on.

Mags said...

You have great taste!

Anonymous said...

These are very cool bands, you must have a ton of songs on your iPod. I love Evanescense, too.

JAM said...

I like some songs by all of these, and all songs by U2. Music is important to me too. I listen to a lot of Christian rock bands, there are some really good ones, and the lyrics tend to be more uplifting to me. But I like so many different types and bands that it's hard to pick a few. I liked a lot of radio friendly "pop" from the 70s and 80s and early 90s, but haven't liked much on the radio since about 94 or so.

Great choices here!

tiggerprr said...

Also playing on my iPod:

Evanescence (24)
Toad the Wet Sprocket (25)
Bon Jovi (24)
Goo Goo Dolls (13)
Sarah McLachlan (22)
U2 (27)

To the person that asked if the 2nd Evanescence CD was good. I love it. Lithium is beautiful.

Barb said...

I don't have an Ipod (hubby does though) but I love almost anything Live, Goo Goo Dolls, and Springsteen does! Thanks for dropping by!

Christie O. said...

we have the same ipod! exactly! love love love toad and that's my favorite toad song too and for the same reasons! hahaha

Anonymous said...

I hate to say that I don't know most of these. I think I need to broaden my music.

Mike said...

I don't have any of these on my ipod yet. I've just started using it though. Just wait till I get my USB turntable though, I have tons of vinyl to get into mp3 format. A good list of artists though. I need to pickup some of these.

Susan said...

Oh thanks!!! I couldn't figure out what music to put on this eve but you reminded me I haven't listened to any of my Indigo Girls albums in forever and that would be perfect! Great list - happy TT :)

Rainbow said...

Great list and yes some of those are on my IPOD! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Great to meet you!

Sueann

Unknown said...

I like Bruce the best on your list. I lived in NJ for a while, good friends of ours lived in Bruce territory there in NJ.

Anonymous said...

I love S & G, Toad, and Sarah!

Happy TT

Unknown said...

Oooo I love evanescence!

You should check out Nightwish, a Finnish band with a similar sound. I found them via Pandora.com and they ROCK!

Anonymous said...

I don't have an iPod!!! *whimper* But I still have a tape of Simon and Garfunkel and a record of U2 ... does that count?

And no! I'm not that old! I swear!

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm getting old cause Simon and Garfunkle and Bruce Springsteen were the only ones that I'm really familiar with...although I have heard of some of the others so I'm not totally hopeless! :)
Thanks for stopping by!

Cafe Cats said...

LOVE the Indigo Girls! Had Galileo as my ringtone for the longest. Just got a new phone and put on Carbon Leaf "Let your Troubles Roll By." Lots of great tunes on there. My Largest playlist is Gandalf Murphy and the Slambovian Circus of Dreams. They're amazing.

I've got toys up this week in my TT. Stop by if you get a chance.

Fence said...

Amy Lee does have a fantastic voice, I totally agree.

I wasn't too convinced by Snow Patrol when I first got their album, but I love some of the songs on their newest album, especially _Chasing Cars_ and the duet they have with Martha Wainwright, _Set fire to the 3rd bar_ or something like that.

Valtool said...

For those like me who love the 80's, my Friday Flashback today is Brat Pack Movie Music.

http://www.valtool.blogspot.com

Anthony said...

We only share 12, 9 and 7. But, a good list regardless.

I've cooled a lot on the Pearl Jam lately. I love their musical integrity, and respect them as artists, but we've gone our separate ways in music.

I love Live, but I've lost track of them.

Lori's Light Extemporanea said...

I had the pleasure of introducing my girls to Simon and Garfunkel this year. No ipod for any of us. We're hopelessly behind the times.

Lori's Light Extemporanea said...

Oh, and I forgot to say (as you asked) that cutting anything like paper dulls scissors horribly and makes it extremely difficult to cut things like, say, fabric. That's why my fabric scissors are off-limits to people not cutting fabric.

Anonymous said...

I haven't thought about Toad the Wet Sprocket in AGES. Bon Jovi will always rock too! And I think Bruce Springsteen is one of the best songwriters out there. The man is brilliant.