Monday, January 29, 2007

"Here Comes Barbaro"

Immortal words by Tom Durkin, which is amazing since as announcers go, Tom Durkin aint that immortal. But, I digress...

I am not one of those crazy's that sent get well cards to a horse that couldnt read. Or posted words of encouragement on his bulletin board, like that were actually talking to Barbaro directly, or even worse, typing out of those slightly sick stories about Barbaro, and trust me there out there.

But, the horse did touch me in a way. I have always had a soft heart for animals and have been watching horse racing since I was like 12 years old. And Barbaro was a Philly horse, based out of Delaware Park, and trained down the road from where I used to live in college, at Fair Hill Training Center in Maryland. So, I thought of him as my horse in a way. I dont know if its something having to do with all the fun that we had with Kittie this year (and fun is used in that sarcastic way) but when I heard that they finally had to put the thoroughbred down, I did feel a pang in my stomach. My brain had been telling me for 5 months now that this story would end badly, but I guess the emotional part refused to listen to the smart part.

So, the Kentucky Derby was his greatest triumph, which is why I am sharing the video. He went out dominating a strong field, which maybe the way we would all wanna go out in some way.

3 comments:

Christie O. said...

i am so not a horse racing fan but for some reason i happened to catch that race, and i've followed barbaro ever since. i am so sad!

Jay said...

Frankly speaking, I'd rather be having sex than racing when I go, but that's just me.

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

I just imagine the number of sick children who don't have health insurance that could have been helped using all of that money. I do feel bad for the horse, it should have been put down as soon as it got injured instead of prolonging the misery. Just a sad story all around.