Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Princess

Scroll downwards for my Thursday 13 but, if you want to read, please feel free, im not forcing ya either way.

We got the news yesterday that I deep down already knew for a week or two now. My little princess that I have had for 13 years or so now has cancer. She has growths in her small intestine, liver, and kidneys, as well as something growing into her left eye/head. So now, we don't really know exactly what to do. The vet's keep pushing steroids for her, though I dont know if that is really the best option. She has done alot of sleeping, cant get around that well, and definetly can't see out of that left eye. So, will steroids really help to manage all that pain? And how much time will it really buy us, since people at the clinic and online are saying only a few weeks.

Red offered to take her to the vet if we wished to put her down, which I really must say is an extra ordinary gesture on her part, since she knows Mrs Duck would have a rough time and I do not know if I could actually do it.

I don't want her to suffer, she has always been there for me through thick and thin, so I am not sure if steroids would just be selfish. Though I will say, she still Loves her rubs.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is sad , but I think you know what's best to do. Nobody want's to see anybody suffer.

Kukka-Maria said...

OMG...how sad! My heart goes out to you during this difficult time. It's tough to know when to hold on and when to say goodbye, so I wish you strength and discernment.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your cat. When I lost my first cat, I cried like a baby, and had to take 2 days off from work. I cried more when my cat died, than I did when my grandmother died...strange I know.
Sometimes it's better to let go, than to prolong the pain.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, this is a hard one. Hang in there and trust your gut and your heart. Good luck.

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Ohhh, I'm so sorry. It's such a tough decision.

Gail Martin said...

It is so sad and such a hard decision. Our pets become such a big part of our family.

{hugs}

Anonymous said...

I so know where you're at with Princess; I was in the exact same place with Brittney. We did the steroids, the children's Amoxil, and two other antibiotics. It bought us about three and a half months (by then, she'd gotten yellow with jaundice, though.) Our vet said that we had to take her quality of life into consideration. I will never, ever forget the moment the nurse took my cat from my arms, but I'll always know I made the right decision. (I can totally relate to Twyla; I also cried more over my cat than my grandmother {you had to know my wicked grannie to understand!}). Hang in there, Sparky, 'ol buddy. It will hurt when it's time to say goodbye, but you'll heal. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

Norma said...

This is the final act of love--to hold her at the end. Don't have someone else do it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your baby. I know how heartbreaking of a decision it is. My thought are with you and Princess.

Jay said...

I'm sorry you have sadness. It's a horrible decision to have to make, too, but I think we can all agree that to see her suffer is the worst.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. It's such a tough thing to deal with.

Blog said...

I'm so sorry, Sparky. I had to put my cat Simba down in May. He was really sick with kidney failure (at only 10 years old, dammit). The vet sent him home with us, knowing he wouldn't last. When I realized they knew this (I can't stand them now, obviously, and have moved vets), I called him to come and put Simba down in our home where I knew he'd be comfortable.

Even though you guys would have a hard time putting Princess down, I think it's a gift. And, it's a gift for you to be there. If you can't it's okay. But, I'm happy I was there even though it was one of the saddest horrible days I can remember. I thanked him, told him I loved him, held him as he left us. I'm sorry this is so morbid. I just don't want you to regret not being there if you decide to put Princess down.

Anonymous said...

My best thoughts are with you, Mrs. D, and your honey - it's extremely hard to see your pet suffer. I think the animals understand it more than us...