Friday, August 08, 2008

Olympics Fever? More like an Olympics Cold

Technically, the Olympics have already begun. There are way too many soccer games that need to be played before these 3 weeks are up, so some of the preliminaries in that sport have already begun. But, usually I am really into this thing. But, it is in China, and I have not necessarily agreed with that fact. Way way way too many things can go wrong there, with a chance for the eyes of the world to be on such a secretive place. So I call it Olympic Cold instead of Olympic Fever.

I will be into the Track and Field, Swimming and some of the gymnastics, after a while, it does find itself becoming old. Too much Badminton and Volleyball, not enough Boxing. Plus, NBC presents it like a TV show, not a sport.

Plus, the first test of the smog and weather in China comes quickly. The Cycling Road Race will be held this weekend, and when the US Cycling team showed up wearing masks already, that does not give us an auspicious start.


8 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i agree sparky, it's just not the same as it used to be when we would sit there staring at the tv all day during the olympics. it's more like a little reality show now. very sad...

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

ps: i hate your candidate more than i hate mine! ha ha ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

I'm so disappointed that the Hamm brothers won't be competing. I'm even more disappointed that there are no more 10's in Olympic gymnastics. Somebody's been watching too much Spinal Tap. Now even gymnastics go to 11? Or more?

Oh. And I am sooooooo with the Bee here. Hee!

The Gal Herself said...

I really couldn't care less about the Olympics. Except for the fact that it interrupts my regular TV schedule, which I resent. The end of the Olympics will bump right into the Dem Convention in Denver, and I'm afraid that with all this Olympic coverage, I'm not going to get the tender pre-convention foreplay I long for. Because unlike the two ladies above, I don't HATE either candidate -- especially not Obama, and especially not when I compare them to what we've endured these past eight years. To borrow from Gerald Ford, I look forward to the conventions as the first sign that "our long national nightmare" is ending.

Cinnamon Girl said...

I have an entire channel on Fios TV dedicated to the Olympics but the fact that it is in China makes me ill. Yeah let's celebrate brotherhood and man's potential in a country with such an obviously belief in human rights. *Sarcasm*

Bet they take the gold in the Olympic mow down the citizenry with a tank relay.

Desert Songbird said...

Talk about irony personified. Which is really sad for the athletes who worked so hard to pursue the dream.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

The Olympic selection committee are a bunch of boobs who can be bought for a few sheckels

Anthony said...

The instrument has not been invented that can measure my indifference to the Olympics.
It's all over the TV though, so I suppose I'll stumble on something somewhere.

Generally, it's way too much about politics and not enough about sports. And TV presents every sporting event like a TV show, not just the Olympics. They don't feel as though the events are enough to keep us interested.

Jenny McB said...

I grew up watching every olympic with my family, it was always a big event. Now it just seems to be snippets. I still don't know how China got it...can it really be that much fun for the athletes there with the huge police presence?