Monday, February 25, 2008

Yes Because of a Stupid Snowball

Philadelphia has always had a violent edge to it. Even when things were going great under Mayor (now Governor) Rendell, you did not go to North Philadelphia if you did not have too. You drove fast through Wyomissing. You did not mention that you were a member of the MOVE movement.

Violence is spreading out more now though. Center City is still relatively safe, as is South Street, but things are devolving around it. The suburbs are still quite nice, but there are now alot more blocks and neighborhoods that are "quick honey speed up" right up next to the safe spots. And things continue to get odd.

Look at this story this weekend, a teen was shot and later died from his wounds after hitting an adult in the face with a snowball. And it was not a knee jerk reaction either out of anger. The gunman actually left, had a chance to calm down and still returned with an automatic weapon and shot the teen in the head.

A young man who had been shot in the head over a snowball fight yesterday -- on his 16th birthday -- died this morning.

Tavin Rutledge had been at Temple University Hospital on life support. He was pronounced dead at 11:34 a.m.


Yes, in a awful twist, it was the victims 16th birthday.

Now, when I was a kid, I threw a snowball or 20 at a passing car, and it would occasionally land atop a roof of the moving vehicle. Stupid stupid stupid. But, I only had fear of getting a whipping from my parents if I was caught, not a fear of facing down a Glock because of my good aim.

9 comments:

Yoshi said...

There is something wrong with this world. I don't know what happened, but it makes me sad to know these things are happening.

What's wrong with people? does everyone need to go and take an anger management class?

That's just psychotic. I don't get it anymore.

Amy Ruttan said...

I totally get that. Now when a bully threatens to meet you after school he means to literally kill you, not beat you up and take your lunch money.

I seriously think somedays of pulling my kids out of school and homeschooling them. It's insane.

Then again it won't protect them from gunman who shoot kids for throwing snowballs.

It's bad enough I have to be outside with them if they want to play in the back yard. Hell when I was 4 I was running rampant outside ... for the most part. Ah the early eighties and the innocence.

Anonymous said...

That's fucking terrible.

Wylie Kinson said...

I'm appalled... speechless...

I sometimes go days without looking at the headlines because I can't bear to see what 'humanity' (for lack of a better term) is up to.
Something is seriously out of whack. The other day in London, Ontario, a group of teenaged GIRLS beat (yes, BEAT) a nineteen year old girl and her fifteen year old brother TO DEATH.
WTF?? How can a mere child have that much anger? Makes me so sad.

Anthony said...

I wonder if I have a false sense of security when I decide to go wandering around the city at night.
I'll go from Old City to Center City and as far as Logan Circle on foot. Some little pockets are a bit nerve-wracking.

In all the time I've been going over there (30+ years) traveling the subway and various streets, this is the only time I've even thought about my safety.

The Gal Herself said...

Guns, guns, guns. Here in the Chicagoland area, we are treated to news reports about all the firearms the NIU gunman was able to purchase legally. Now this. I simply refuse to believe this is what our forefathers imagined while crafting the Second Amendment.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

And the gunman? Did they catch him? Will he go to jail? Was the gun legal?

This scum needs to be thrown into a dark place...

Anonymous said...

It's scary to think it could happen anywhere anytime. Who would think a snowball could render such a violent reaction? Very sad!

BeckEye said...

So many screwed up people in the world....