Monday, December 10, 2007

Poetry Train Meets Christmas Express

Don't forget, the Christmas Card list is being built on the post below this one, so go ahead and sign up.

One of my favorite Christmas Songs is Baby Please Come Home. I first heard it performed by the imcomparable U2, but then I heard Darlene Love perform it annually on the Late Show with David Letterman, in fact the last 10 years and I hope they figure out a way to do it this year.

But the song is so sad yet happy all at the same time, kind of like how the Holidays can be in general.

It's Christmas
Baby, please come home

(Yeah!)

The snow's coming down
I'm watching it fall
Watching the people around
Baby please come home

The churchbells in town
They're rining a song
What a happy sound
Baby please come home

Theyr'e singing deck the halls
But it's not like Christmas at all
I remember when you were here
And all the fun we had last year

Pretty lights on the tree
I'm watching 'em shine
You should be here with me
Baby please come home

Baby please come home
Baby please come home

They're singing deck the halls
But it's not like Christmas at all
I remember when you were here
And all the fun we had last year

If there was a way
I'd hold back these tears
But it's Christmas day
Baby please come home
Ohh...

Baby please come home
Baby please come home
Baby please come home
Ohh...
Baby please come home
Baby please come home







Jump aboard the Poetry Train here, cmon its culture!

11 comments:

Jay said...

I love the u2 version, but my sister plays the Cher cover obsessibvely, and it may have ruined it for me.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I like the U2 version; it's nice and peppy.

Anndi said...

I'll be back to watch and listen... Christmas music is my guilty pleasure.

But I do LOVE U2's version, a LOT!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I love the opening lines:
'The snow's coming down
I'm watching it fall
Watching the people around
Baby please come home'

I was sitting this very afternoon, watching snow fall, watching people hurry past. But I knew my baby was home, so it wasn't sad at all.

Valtool said...

U2's song and the Run DMC track "Christmas in Hollis" have always beenmy two favorite tracks on A Very Special Christmas. In fact, I posted the same video on the Friday Flashback this weekend.

Unknown said...

I used to listen to the U2 version when I worked at the mall when I was going through university. I think I might like it again now that I haven't heard it on repeat for a few years. :)

Amy Ruttan said...

I like both to be honest.

I haven't heard these songs in forever. Thanks for that Sparky.

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard that U2 song for a long time now. Thanks! It made me go back in time!

Wylie Kinson said...

I haven't heard the U2 version before (blame it on living in another world - Bermuda - for so long. Serious lack of good radio!) so thanks for sharing it!

And I love that you post music lyrics for the Poetry Train, Sparky. Not many people care to credit musicians for being poets.

Danika Dinsmore said...

I love this song! Thanks, this brings back a lot of memories, actually. I lived with a load of major U2 fans in college...

Cinnamon Girl said...

They did a part of that during the concert we saw as it was close to Christmas. It was a combo with Instant Karma, So This Is Christmas and something else but I am spacin it.