Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Express-Retroville

When I used to watch this commercial as a kid, it was always one of those spots that made me stop and watch it, as opposed to flip to find some more cartoons. I don't know if it was the snow, or the schmaltzy music, or the odd happy smiles people got from smelling coffee, but I was hooked.

As I got older, I realized how fantastic and out of reality this commericial was.

a-how the hell is old are these parents with a kid in college and a little tyke running around.
b-College gets out way before Christmas. Hell, At Delaware, we were some of the last students to get off campus for winter break at it was usually still 2 weeks before Christmas.
c-Ok, I get the coffee thing, just its an addiction that give all these people goofy looks.

So enjoy the Folgers 80s ad.

16 comments:

Cinnamon Girl said...

I remember that commercial! Now I feel old. Bleh :P

Lisa Andel said...

I'm thinking the little kid is really the college dudes.

Just saying.

Wylie Kinson said...

hehehehe

Merry Christmas Sparky, and to Mrs. Duck too.
All the very best in 2008!

Schmoop said...

Merry Christmas to you and any other Ducks running around your place. Cheers!!

Amy Ruttan said...

OMG I started to cry as my child hood Christmas just flooded back.I've been over emotional lately.

Merry Christmas Sparky and Mrs. Duck, here's to many successes in 2008. :D

Lisa Andel said...

Merry Christmas Sparky and Mrs. Duck.

Unknown said...

College boy looks like he's in his 30s, and now I want a pot of coffee.


Merry Christmas :)

Anndi said...

OOH can we all sing the Coca Cola Christmas song after?

Merry Christmas Duckie, to you and the Mrs.

Hugs

Cinnamon Girl said...

Yes Anndi we can! I love that commercial. I don't care if that makes me a dork.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I loved and love this commercial and as soon as I saw what you were talking about, in my mind I thought "Peter!"

Could've been because I had a cousin who was in the Marines that surprised us in a similar way (in my grandmother's house where he also lived for a while) that I didn't overthink this one when I was little ;)

Happy holidays!

Anthony said...

a - That's Peter, the son in college and Accident, our little one.
It happened one night after that third cup of Folgers.

Unknown said...

I remember that commercial! Happy holidays to you and yours!!!

the Book of Keira said...

Hope you had a lovely holiday!!!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

AH Duck...you know...like the song...OOPSY DAISY look what we did mom!

heheheheh

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

OK..the real song..."Love Child, Love Child..never meant to be...."

Hyperion said...

It's reasonable that Peter--whether just working in another city or going to school--couldn't get home until Christmas because of work. In fact, the commercial implies they didn't expect him at all. (Having done this myself--driving all night to surprised a family that didn't expect me to show up--I can tell you, it's worth it.)

As for the kid, I admit that's a bit of a stretch, but viewed not through an '80s lens but through and Oughties, it's clear that the little girl belongs to the teenage girl. Duh.