Sunday, November 04, 2007

Sometimes Sexism works

Well, the days of wine and roses is over. As of tomorrow, I am back into the working world full time. Another financial institution, though smaller then the last go around. It figures, whenever you try and get out, they pull you right back in.

So, that is good news, and will be even much better news on the wallet when the paychecks roll in. But, it also meant I needed to do some sprucing on the old wardrobe. I had suits and shirts and ties, but I certainly needed more dress pants, and dress shirts, and some professional ties so I am not wearing the Mickey Mouse ones on the first day.

Saturday was a trip to Boscov's, a store that I always seem to do well in when it comes to shopping for clothes. And once I was done with one more suit, 5 dress shirts, 4 ties and 3 more dress pants, the bill was racked up to about $300. This of course got Mrs Duck steamed, since that much money would get her maybe two outfits max!

Again it shows where sexism sometimes kicks ass. Almost a weeks worth of clothes that barely dented the wallet. My kinda sexism. Now if I can just stop being worried about the actual work, I would be aces.

10 comments:

Buttercup said...

I'm not even going to say how much money I just dropped today shopping with my mom. Suffice it to say, it backs up your sexism point. Good luck at work!

QUESTION: Is Starrlight Mrs. Duck? What's the connection? I love Starrlight's blog but it's hard to open the first page.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job! I knew it was just a matter of time! Good luck!

Lisa Andel said...

Break a leg Sparky.
Work sucks, but somebody's got to do it. :D

Desert Songbird said...

"Is Starrlight Mrs. Duck?" Bwahahaha! That was a good one!

Congrats on the new job. I have to say, though, if Mrs. Duck only gets two outfits at the price of $300, methinks she's shopping in the wrong places.

I'm just sayin'...

Sparky Duck said...

yea Songbird, I did not know how to say Starr is my resident goth/liberal friend and make it sound sweet.

Ok, maybe the $300 was creative license on my part.

Valtool said...

Wouldn't "resident goth friend" suffice? Far as I can tell all your friends are liberal (except for me). :)

Congrats on the job. After last night it may be time for me to start looking again too. I enjoy my work (when there is enough of it for me to do) but so often I am pulled from my department to do scud work around the store, and we have two pretty lousy managers working for us. I should know because I have been a pretty lousy manager myself in the past.

As for sexism, I always enjoy the various rules for guys, my favorite being, "If it does not fit in your pocket (or attach to your belt) you don't NEED it." I think of this every time I watch a woman burrow into her purse for minutes on end searching for the one item that has found it's way to the bottom of the pile in the 30 seconds since she last had it out!

The Gal Herself said...

I'm less interested in the wardrobe than I am about the job. THIS IS SO EXCITING! Here's to ya!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Yee haw, Sparky. A new job. Good for you!

Right now, I'd love a job outside the house and away from the kids...

Jenny McB said...

Another form of sexism--- the difference in prices for haircuts!!

Good luck on your new job, remember to smile, ask smart questions and to not get caught playing freecell at work.

BTW- your comment about the souey pig had my husband and I laughing. I seriously think I am too liberal to go there and might not last.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Ok that line opening line made me giggle. Since I am named for a character in the movie Days of Wine and Roses :P