Thursday, October 25, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #54-The Witch One


Thirteen Famous Witches


Here is the prerequisite Halloween themed Thursday Thirteen, as we focus on well known witches. And amazingly, not everyone of them is hot.


1. Ann Boleyn-Henry VIIIths second wife, she was beheaded, ostensibly because the king was sick of her. But she was called a witch because she could not bear the King a son.

2.Isobel Goldie-Living in the 1600's, it is said that she had wild sexual escapades with the devil who had initiated her into the art of witchcraft. She confessed this several times but many thought that it was just a story she had made up and that it was just a game that had gotten out of hand. She was probably hung.

3.The Three Witches from Macbeth- They created evil magic in their cauldron to encourage Macbeth to kill the King and seize the throne.

4.Medea- In Greek mythology helped her Husband capture the golden Fleece. She committed several murders including those of her own children.

5.The Witch of Sleeping Beauty
-A story written by the brothers Grimm. The plot revolves around a beautiful young princess who pricks her finger on a evil witches spindle, falls asleep and can only been awoken by the kiss of a stranger.

6.The Witch of Rapunzel
-Another Brothers Grimm tale,its the story of a jealous witch who has imprisoned the lovely Rapunzel in a tower and who uses her hair to climb to the top.

7.Samantha of Bewitched
-The kooky main character of a TV Show that marries a witch and a mortal man and sticks them in the suburbs. Hilarity ensues.

8.The Blair Witch-A fictional legend that apparently runs around the woods of Western Maryland. The legends was turned into a movie that somehow was very popular, though after watching the first 20 minutes, I do not know how.

9.The Witches of "The Craft"
-A teen angst movie from the 90's, about the unpopular girls who actually develop supernatural powers. Somehow, I think it would be dangerous for the cool kids if the nerdy girls get supernatural powers.

10.Eglantine Price of Bedknobs and Broomsticks
-Played by Angela Landsbury, this is a 1970's Disney movie about a witch, her three orphaned nieces and nephews and a magician who travel across Europe on a Magic Bed. Yes, its a Disney Movie.

11.The Wicked Witch of the West
-The villain character in the Wizard of Oz. She is out to steal back the silver/ruby slippers back from Dorothy and will do whatever it takes to get them back, including sending flying monkeys. The Wicked Witch just can't shower. She is also a main character in the Broadway hit & Novel, Wicked.

12.Willow Rosenberg-I guess she is the best known Witch from the Television Series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Since I have never seen a full season of the show, I would be guessing. She is cute though.

13.The Halliwell sisters of Charmed
-The three, then fourth sister when Shannen Doherty left/got fired, that were the heroes of Charmed. They used the power of 3 to make there magic work. They also used the power of skimpy clothing, but that is a story for another Thursday Thirteen.



Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





28 comments:

Robin said...

I've got family in Salem, MA (of witch trial fame). Things there get CRAZY this time of year.

Bewitched was a riot, I wish they'd show it on reruns.

Cynthia said...

I'm with you on Blair Witch Project, great hype for a lamo movie. Great Halloween list!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea for a T13 !

Lori's Light Extemporanea said...

Interesting! And you didn't even mention the Salem Witch Trials.

Happy TT!

Red Garnier said...

Super interesting and appropriate for this month! Poor Ann Boelyn.

Desert Songbird said...

I love the Power of Three - those Halliwell sisters kicked some serious ass. But I hated that period of tarty clothes. "Paige" wore colors that were not flattering (think circus-like), and "Phoebe" wore clothing that was just plain odd.

pissed off patricia said...

Alas, maybe next year I'll make the list. Shoot, I've worked so hard to get there. Oh wait, you said witches not bitches. Nevermind.

Schmoop said...

Not a great movie, but I always watch The Craft when it comes on. Cheers!!

Qtpies7 said...

I couldn't even bring myself to rent Blair Witch project. Looks stupid.

Denise Patrick said...

Great list. I've seen a lot of those movies (mostly the Disney ones) and read many of the stories. I love fairy tales and living in Germany makes Grimms' more real.

Happy TT!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Three words: The Worst Witch.

The poor girl's Harry Potter.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Awesome TT! I loved the Craft even more after the Foamy The Squirrel cartoon talking about Faruzia Balk and her Tiny Baby Cauldren! It's still available in the toon archives at

illwillpress.com

Carrie Lofty said...

Blair Witch had its drawbacks, but I love the ending. Great fun, if it didn't make you nauseous!

Tilly Greene said...

Margaret Mitchell as the Wicked Witch of the West in Wizard of Oz freaked me out as a kid - her and those creepy monkey men, SCARY!

Now, it just came to me [and yes, I'm on the flu drugs today so bear with me] do you wonder if this is one of the reasons why people think the west coast isn't right in the head? Hmmm, just wondering :-)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

From Anne Boleyn to the Power of Skimpy Clothes.

Fascinating, Sparky.

Darla said...

Oh, great. Now I've got "Eglantine, Eglantine, oh, how you shine..." running through my head. :) I love that movie.

The Gal Herself said...

#5 -- was she the Disney witch Woody Allen thought was so hot in Annie Hall?

Rebecca said...

I can't help it, I love Charmed! Happy TT13 :P

EHT said...

What a perfect 13 before Halloween. Your second one was new to me. I love learning new things.

Thanks for visiting History Is Elementary.

Tawnya Shields said...

Awesome post! It is good thta Disney put one of it's witches in a good light.

Thanks so much for stopping by my T13 an commenting. :o)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I actually really enjoyed the mockumentary that was made by the 'Blair Witch' filmmakers - far superior to the narrative movie. It plays as if the Blair Witch is for real. Pretty good.

The 'Wizard of Oz' witch is my second-favorite witch. The first is the witch from Disney's animated 'Snow White'. Great Halloween TT, Sparky!

J. Lynne said...

Superstition-wise, Macbeth is supposed to be a cursed play with all sorts of bad things happening around productions of it because of the witches and their spell casting at the beginning of the play.

I did my TT on superstition. ;)

Anonymous said...

Great TT! I totally agree on the Blair Witch Project.

Lisa Andel said...

I'm with the others on the Blair Witch.

Hey, you just left a comment on my blog. Is that freaky, or what?

Anonymous said...

I love the Wicked Witch in Wicked. She's a freedom fighter against the oppressive Wizard of Oz, who is basically a Nazi. Cool list...

Yuriko said...

Great idea for TT! I like Elphaba and Galinda from Wicked... too bad they didn't make the list.

Believer in Balance said...

I'm reading The Last Boleyn now and it's so weird learning about how Anne was growing up. Great book! I just saw they've made it into a movie too.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I great list for Halloween. I love Boleyn-- I was at the castle in England, and it was kind of creepy -- all that death and stuff.