Thursday, October 18, 2007

Helping out in DC

The Thursday Thirteen is going to be delayed a little bit, gosh darn it if life does not decide to throw off blogging now and again. What is with that? So check back later this afternoon.

W had one of his always enterntaining press conferences yesterday. Luckily I only had to catch the highlights later in the day, I must have been distracted by a Judge Judy rerun when it was being held live. Richard Wolffe of Newsweek asked the President an interesting question yesterday, what his definition of the word torture was.

W in his usual duck and spin tactics saying Torture is whatever the Congress defines it as and its something that the United States does not do. It would have been good if he said something like 'something unpleasant' or 'a form of punishment we detest'. But no, lets make sure the leader of the free world continues to look like a boob.

So, as a special help to the President, here is the definition of torture, as defined by Dictionary.com, who takes the information from the Random House Dictionary of 2006. I found this on the internets there Mr President.

-noun
1. the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.
2. a method of inflicting such pain.

6 comments:

Cinnamon Girl said...

I believe the geneva conventions..that we subscribe to in THEORY...also talk about mental torture.

W is such ass.

Schmoop said...

The first definitio happens to me every time I hear Rachel Ray's voice!!

Anonymous said...

It is truly amazing that he is charged with running this country, is it not?

P.S. I tried to email you and it didn't go through. I will try again, but if you don't hear from me, email me so I can reply.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Maybe he doesn't know what the word actually means! hee hee

Valtool said...

I heard a little bit of the opening remarks and the first 2-3 questions as I was driving to work.

I noticed the president struck out at the Congress a good bit, asking them to focus more on our country's needs and to work on getting things done rather than wasting time pandering to party politics and apparently wanting to spend time and money investigating some problem in Armenia.

The 2nd question he fielded was from a reporter asking if the President felt there was any potential problem with his attending a service to honor the Dali Lama considering our relationship with China.

Bush's response. (paraphrased) "I admire and respect the Dali Lama, and I believe in religious freedom, so no, I have no concerns about how China feels about my attending this event."

*APPLAUSE*

Unknown said...

Once again, I love the featured adoptable pets on your blog..Simmy is stinking cute