Thursday, August 09, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #47-Fast Food One


Thirteen Fast Food Places Sparky wishes were closer


I do enjoy my Fast Food. The last few Wednesdays or so, Mrs Duck has been going out to spend time with friends, leaving me on my own for dinner. I have been using that opportunity to get my Fast Food fix. But, the choices around here kinda suck. Here's 13 Fast Food joints I wish were in my area.

1.Whataburger-I had these on my first trip to Arizona, and there was just something different about them. Maybe bigger, or a different make up, but they were tasty, though not as tasty as...

2.In N Out-The Best damn burgers, hands down end of discussion. A West Coast institution. If they ever moved this way, we would both probably be there every week.

3.Sonic-No Sonic here either, I think the closest is out by Penn State. There food does not look overally appetizing on the commercials, but there drinks and shakes just make the mouth sort of water.

4.Hardees/Carl Jrs-Any place with this kind of commercial will get my business at least once! And Hardees always had some excellent biscuits.


5.Geno's-One of my first memories is stopping on the way to the house that I would grow up in and getting a bucket of Geno's chicken the night we moved in. It was the first meal in the new house at it was at like 10:30 at night, a treat for an 8 year old.

6.Jake's Burgers-A University of Delaware institution. Not exactly a fast food because the burgers would need to be called in for ahead of time to be fast, but what great burgers, especially for a college student budget.

7.White Castle-Mmmm sliders. So good, so cheap, so filling. So quick to get through the digestive system.

8.Chipolte-Another discovery when the folks lived in Arizona. A giant dinner for under $5. I mean huge burritos! I would have trouble finishing one, and that says a lot for a healthy eater like myself.

9.Jack in the Box-We used to have them out here on the East Coast, until they had that whole E Coli scare that nearly put em out of business. But, now we don't get to eat Clown Burgers, nor see the funny commercials.



10.Roy Rogers-We used to have one of the last Roy Rogers in existence at my local New Jersey mall. It survived because the mall did not have a food court and needed to have a burger place for its patrons. Who didn't love the fixings bar, BBQ on there fries and some fine fried chicken. Well, i do know the Senior Citizens did since they always seemed to fill the place.

11.Baja Fresh-sometimes you are in the mood for some Mexican, but without all the fat fried taste of Taco Bell. Ok, that does not happen for me much, since I love Taco Bell, but sometimes you wanna think you were eating healthy. For that, Baja Fresh was one of the best options.

12.Pei Wei-Fast Food of the asian variety that did not taste like fast food at all. Another favorite stop of Tex's when they lived in Arizona, because he could feed 4 and not break the bank. Love there noodles.

13.Coffee People-An old Oregon hippy institution, that served some of the best coffee. And it was one of the first coffee drive ups that I could recall being around, at least before Dunkin Donuts had a drive up. Its since been bought out by Starbucks and I think most of the Portland chains are gone. I am glad I missed the demise, because they had some fine coffee.


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





36 comments:

Robin said...

I didn't know that Jack in the Box was even still around. I never understood all the hype about White Castle though. Never did like those little burgers. Did you guys call them rats too? My husband remembers getting yelled at once by a White Castle cashier for ordering ratburgers. In his defence, he wasn't in possesion of all his faculties that evening...

Unknown said...

I love White Castle and In n Out. Great burgers at both and the Fries at In n Out were great too. Grat TT.

Ed

Unknown said...

fun list, no Chik Fil A?

hahah

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I love Sonic Blast, their chicken wraps aren't bad either.

Anonymous said...

Was that Paris Hilton, or a look-alike? I have no idea whose burger she was selling. The second video was very funny!

My brother Jim worked in the first McDonalds in our area, back when they counted how many they sold and started it all.

Twyla said...

I've never ate at any of those places...I'm not sure that we even have any of those in Canada. Although living out here in the sticks, we're lucky to have McDonald's.

Yoshi said...

White castle totally rocks. I truly miss it. We don't have any at all.

We don't have a close sonic either. we get the commercials, but we have to drive a while to get to it. ridiculous.

I'm so glad we still have inandout burger though. :)

Ah, i miss the east coast sometimes though. I should do a list like this for NJ. :P

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i wonder if that is the same geno's we used to have in baltimore? geno marchetti? mmmm... and sparky, hey, nick link! ha ha ha

smiles, bee

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

I *love* Chipotle but the closest is several hours away. Happy TT!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I miss Roy Rogers' too. We used to eat there all the time at Pitt.

As for Sonic, I'm just crazy enough to meet you there, you know. I've never had Sonic and it's about halfway for each of us...

The Gal Herself said...

Does JITB still serve those crunchy tacos?

Anonymous said...

First I got really hungry...then I had a burst of indigestion at the thought. I'm guessing you're still young: enjoy it while you can!!!

I would LOVE a sonic burger.

Cinnamon Girl said...

My understanding is that there will be one Coffee People left here in PDX. At the airport. Hippy Dave's cookies kicked some ass, didn't they?

I have a sonic, right by house. No In n Out burger or White Castle. What I would KILL for is a Waffle House =(

Anonymous said...

We don't have a lot of those, and I haven't seen a Jack in the Box in years. LOL! Now I'm jonesing for a burger. Yum!

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Some of those places I hadn't heard of, but oh yeah, Sonic has great burgers and hot dogs, and Hardees' biscuits -- yum!

Happy T13, and thanks for visiting mine!

Sparky Duck said...

Robin-No uh, never called em rat burgers. Don't know if they would have hit this list if I thought of them that way.

Amy-No Chik Fil-A is actually close enough, which makes the wife much happier then me.

Colleen-Yep that is Paris Hilton, shilling for Hardees/Carls Jr

Twyla-But you have Tim Hortons!

Yoshi-There is nothing that can top In N Out, so take what you can get!

Sparky Duck said...

SHG-Enough of these commercials and I will be crazy enough to consider it.

Gal-I don't think so, but I do have that taco recipe if you want it.

Starr-It kinda makes me sad, such a cool funky place now fallen so far that its only at the airport.

Dragon said...

I refuse to eat at Hardees after that Paris commercial. I wish she would just go away.

The Rock Chick said...

I don't have many of those restaurants in my immediate area either, but about two years ago, the put a White Castle not too far away....Let's just say I've developed quite a slider addiction! I could eat those things all day long. I 'm not even sure they are meat, but whetever, they are delicious!!!

Happy TT
Jessica The Rock Chick

Unknown said...

We don't have any of these in Canada. I really miss Pappa John's pizza from when we lived in Virgina to be honest. Very yummy.

Robyn Mills said...

OMG I just love Hardees Biscuits... had them on our way to SC....

Anthony said...

Roy Rogers' Double-R-Bar burger. Best. Burger. Ever.

There's one in the Maryland House on 95 that still serves them. Worth the stop.

Remember Burger Chef?

Sparky Duck said...

Dragon-Cmon, everyone loves Paris, no? Maybe we can sender her to your kingdom and you talk some sense into her?

Rock Chick-better going in then coming out. Yep I went there.

Christina-Papa Johns is my favorite chain pizza here, good call. It doesnt like me much, but I dont blame Papa or John for that matter.

Anthony-OMG Burger Chef!!

Rhian said...

most of these i've never heard of. That Baja Fresh sounds good!

impwork said...

Just checking this is the 21st century still? I didn't get caught in a strange parallel universe where the WWW happened in the 1970s which is the only way I can explain the Hardees/Carl Jrs advert...

We don't have any of those here so your close to all of them than I am.

Lisa Andel said...

We used to have a Hardees in town. Gone now. White Castle is about half an hour away. Heard of a couple of the others, but never ate at any of them.

I liked those Hash Rounds that Hardees served at breakfast too.

Valtool said...

No mention of Chick-fil-a?!?!?! Granted they are reaching the Philly area this year. I'm with you on Geno's as we had one in Thorndale that later became a Roy Rogers and later closed too.

White Castle, only ever had the frozen ones but we have Krystal here in the South and I have no idea what the grayish material between the halves of the bun is.

Chipolte... seems dry and you have to pay extra for chips. Wait and see of Moe's Southwest Grill makes it to you. Same concept with better food and NOT owned by McDonald's.

Hardees, used to like them in the 80's but they have faded.

Never been to an In N OUt but I know the poeple out west crave them like Southerners do Chick-fil-a. I think Las Vegas is the only place I've been that had one.

We have Sonic in Georgia and Florida now. They're okay, but the best item on the menu is not available here (had it in OK and MO) and it's breaded and fried cheddar chunks (bite sized) served with ranch. Mmmmmmmmm.

And to answer your question from my TT - CFF is a reference to the previous item (Central Florida Future)the campus paper.

Twyla said...

Yes, good old Tim Ho's. Mmmmmm.

Barb said...

We have a White Castle right down the road... YUM!

kuanyin333 said...

I'm very fussy about burgers, and so it was interesting to read your list. Don't know all of the ones you listed, but if you ever come to Maui, I'll direct you to the best burger on the island. Happy TT!

DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

Oddly enough, I live close to the downtown area of a 10 million soul population... and there is exactly ONE fast food restaurant within a five-mile radius of home... so this list made me weepy. :)

Irishcoda said...

Hi, thanks for visiting me...I like to have fast food once in a while too and the only thing close to us is Burger King and McDonald's :P BOR-ing. Everything else is a good 20 minute or so ride away.

Christie O. said...

dude--you had me at white castle. oh how i miss those!! we have "krystals" down here and it don't even compare.

Jenny McB said...

Haven't been to most of your list, but I can say that we used to have a Jack in the box in Malden, Ma where I grew up. Once I was waiting for a bus and a car pulled up and the driver asked where he could buy some pot, yep, Jack in the Box was the hangout for druggies, or so I thought.

I am addicted to Mcdonald's ice coffee this summer, it's sad....

Desert Songbird said...

Naturally, I have been to most of the places on your list, and, naturally, many of them are faves o'mine as well.

I take exception to your labeling of Pei Wei as "fast food." Fast it is not, usually because it's so freakin' crowded in there. Besides, they serve the food on real plates with real silverware and linen napkins. Should I mention that there is one a half mile from my house? Mwahahaha...

I do miss WC sliders. When I was in Indy in April, I didn't get the chance to go there, but I did get to go to Steak 'n Shake then and a few days ago here in Ohio. Yippee for steakburgers!!!

Believe it or not, I've never been to In 'n Out, and there's one just a mile or so from my house. May have to rectify that one...

Most of these places are sooooo very near to my house. I don't frequent Carl's Jr., and Hardees was different when they were Hardees and NOT Carl's Jr. I agree - they had great biscuits.

You DO know that McDonald's owns Chipotle's, right? And I've never eaten at Baja Fresh, but I HAVE been to Rubio's many, many, MANY times.

Sparky Duck said...

Songbird-I was not positive Mickey Ds owned all of Chipolte, just because I recently saw an interview with there CEO, so they must have some of there own decision makers too. Hell, I don't care it still tastes good. I am heartbroken that you live that close to In N Out and have not been there yet.