Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Do They Ever Learn?

As the news of inappropriate behavior or at least awful judgement when it comes to dealing with the legal system continues to swirl around Senator Craig of Idaho, it strikes me that this seems to be another recipe for a meal that we have all tasted before.

I am reserving an opinion on Senator Craig, at least here in this blog. I will say that this is not a new rumor. In fact, this is a rumor that even I have heard before. But, it should not be a real issue in the first place, if he's gay, he's gay, if he's not, he's not. Now I am sure Idahoans will care, since he spent much of his time in office going nice and right, but since I ain't from Idaho and the election is far enough off that if Craig resigns the GOP can find some great replacement by then.

But, what I would like all these politicians to ask themselves, what always gets you in trouble, the action itself, or the cover up? I can list off a whole bunch of incidents off the top of my head, where the fire storm was more sparked by the denial and smoke and mirrors trick, then by the actually problem that they were smoking and mirroring.

Well, I said I could, so why don't I?

Nixon-Sheesh, enough said
Bubba-The problem really came to a head (no pun intended) with "what is is"
Gonzo-When your own boss's party is saying that they think you are untruthful, you have warn out your welcome, and you are awful at the lying part about it.
Gov.McSleezy of NJ-The only reason he came out of the closet is because his ex-boyfriend was read to shove him out of the closet. And why did this all spiral out of control, because he had a boyfriend in a position he was unqualified for and tried to hide that fact.
Rep. Jefferson of La-everyone and there mother figured he was corrupt, thats how Louisiana politics seems to go since Huey Long. But his biggest mistake was covering up the fact that he had funds by hiding cash, IN HIS FREEZER.
Anyone remember Ollie North?

See, plenty of blunders on both sides. So, Sen. Craig, you vehement denials just makes you even more of a target for someone somewhere to say, yep I slept with him and he left me a love note and zippo your cooked. If you just sort of tried to laugh it off with a statement like "what, me gay? Look at me, I am shocked my wife is with me, let alone some man." You might have been able to wiggle out of it. Now, its not looking so good.

7 comments:

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

a good scandal every few months keeps the public interested in politics....

The Gal Herself said...

Remember the mantra of the granddaddy of scandals? "It's not the crime, it's the coverup." I don't remember which Nixonian said that, but it's as true today as it was in the 1970s.

I'm reading Joe Klein's book about the Clinton years and once again wonder what would have happened if Bill had just looked into the news cameras and said, "Yes, I did her. (I believe the "her" in question would have been Paula Jones.) So what? Enjoy the skyrocketing NASDAQ and let me run the country."

JFK's approval ratings actually went up after he publicly took responsibility for the Bay of Pigs disaster. Why won't other politicians follow his lead?

Sparky Duck said...

Bond-well you know the cable news channels love it!

Gal-I wish Bubba had done that, kinda like a big ole F.U. But if he did, he would have submarined Hillary. But, this is why people liked McCain 8 years ago. They loved the Straight Talk Express

Anonymous said...

Well, it doesn't matter in Louisiana. They get re-elected regardless.

Tilly Greene said...

Oh my, spending some time with those kids of yours? I'm reading some hissing and spitting here - nice one Sparky! Work all that extra agitation out on the poor, woe-is-me, politicians who do no wrong [ever] - seriously, do, you're making me smile :-)

Sparky Duck said...

Wordy-It was hilarious that TJ would get re-elected. But heck, Huey at least got a movie deal out of it.

Tilly-Come back for the Thursday13 tomorrow then. I worked out some stress on that one for sure. Though, what kids????

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

yeah sparky they make me sick...

smiles, bee