Monday, July 30, 2007

Poetry Train, Late night Edition-Synergy

I had another selection planned, then Bond went and put up a 10,000 Maniacs song on his blog today. And that song got me thinking about how much I enjoyed them growing up. Then, I did a search and found a Stockton Gala Days video. While they had stronger songs, better written songs, or more popular songs, this one always stuck with me. As, always, Rhian is the keeper of the Poetry Train flame.

Stockton Gala Days by 10,000 Maniacs


That summer fields grew high with foxglove stalks and ivy.
Wild apple blossoms everywhere.
Emerald green like none I have seen apart from dreams that escape me.
There was no girl as warm as you.

How I've learned to please, to doubt myself in need,
you'll never, you'll never know.

That summer fields grow high.
We made garland crowns in hiding, pulled stems of flowers from my hair.
Blue in the stream like none I have seen apart from dreams that escape me.
There was no girl as bold as you.

How I've learned to please, to doubt myself in need,
you'll never, you'll never know.
You'll never know.

Violet serene like none I have seen apart from dreams that escape me.
There was no girl as warm as you.

How I've learned to please, to doubt myself in need.
You'll never, you'll never know.
You'll never know.

That summer fields grow high.
We had wildflower fever. We had to lay down where they grow.
How I've learned to hide, how I've locked inside, you'd be surprised if shown.
But you'll never, you'll never know




7 comments:

Cinnamon Girl said...

Natalie all ovah the bloggospere!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

"That summer fields grow high.
We had wildflower fever. We had to lay down where they grow.
How I've learned to hide, how I've locked inside"

My favorite lines. Sorry I missed your big blogathon. I'll try to have a peek at some of it later in the week!

Joy Renee said...

i can't thank you enough for introducing me to Natalie Merchant. I've been lost in her music right here on your blog for over two hours. Had to rush back over to make my post for the day before midnight. Since Natalie was on my mind, that's what i posted about. And gave you a hat-tip too.

thanx for visiting my poem.

btw i'm in awe over what you did, blogging 48 times in 24 hours!! i still struggle to find something worth saying one time per day.

thanx also for doing it for Shriners. They performed free achilles tendon surgery on my foster sister--a ward of my parents well after I was an adult but part of our family now.

i wish i was in a postition to have made a pledge. maybe some day.

Rhian said...

i LOVE Natalie Merchant!!! She lived in Atlanta for awhile and would play this godawful hole in the wall club i worked at called Toyko Beach. Obviously before she hit the big time. heh.

Anna J. Evans said...

48 blogs!! Whew, good work.

And nice poem :)

anna j evans

Amy Ruttan said...

Love that song. Love 10,000 maniacs.

Lisa Andel said...

Thanks for sharing that Sparky. Jeeze you put this up late!