Friday, June 08, 2007

Hey, a Home Remedy that worked!

Ok, I was a dope. I was cleaning up the dishes last night, rinsing out the pots after dinner. And I felt this itch in my ear. So, what do you usually do with an itch?? You scratch it of course. My mistake was planting a nice big droplet of water in my ear. Yes, the itch stopped, but what replaced it was this horrible ringing and these annoying clogginess thing. Oh and the echo too, which is just splendid!

Mrs Duck to the rescue. Her suggestion, from her girl scout or brownie days, was to pour peroxide down the affected ear and then drip it out. Now, this sounded nuts to me, peroxide always reminds me of the thing that sets a cut on fire! But, I trust my wife, and allowed her to funnel the peroxide in. Lets say it sounded like Snap Crackle and Pop were having a party in my ear.

But, I woke up this morning feeling terrific, hearing everything and not having that awful cotton head feeling. What's next, bees wax for my chapped lips? Echinacea for my allergies?

11 comments:

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Local, unpasteurized honey for your allergies.

Tug said...

Will Mrs. Duck come to my house please? I'm thinking if I try that alone I may end up covered in peroxide...

Unknown said...

That's an awesome idea! I'll have to try tha one this summer when it happens to my kids.

Thanks Mrs. Duck!

Cinnamon Girl said...

That is a great plan. For ear aches the other thing that works well is warm olive oil.

Wylie Kinson said...

Amazing what you learn by trolling through your bloglist!
Thanks for the tip.

Too bad that kid with the spider in his ear (last month's news) didn't have this info.

Chelle said...

Peroxide was my best friend back when I was a competitive swimmer and prone to ear infections. You know, back in my youth.

I finally got around to answering the meme you tagged me with. I am nothing if not punctual.

Ok. I'm nothing.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Yep, that Mrs Duck is one smart lady. I actually learned this tip from a guy, go figure. I have problems with my ears (prepare to be grossed-out, I'm what the doctor calls a "high-wax-producer") and I have to go periodically to the doctor to have the wax buildup removed from inside my ears. A friend has the same thing (we're gross together) and he suggested the same thing. Said the nurse at his doctor's office said to use peroxide occasionally, and it will help the wax from building up as often.

Are you sufficiently grossed out now?!

Oh, and don't knock the bees thing. I swear by Burt's Bees lipbalm :)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of using peroxide for curing that. Where did she learn that?

ZuZu said...

Stacy's right: Burt's Bees rocks! I swear by their lip balm, and there's a hand cream (almond something or other) that has a yummy cherry smell to it (I've been known to just sit and sniff the pot. Yeah, I know).

Wasn't there an old fashioned remedy for ear aches that involved blowing cigarrette smoke in the ear? Early on in Stephen King's "The Stand", Frannie remembers her father doing that for her as a child...

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I knew this one from my years as a life guard and being in the water all the time...

Anonymous said...

Great tip! My grandmother use to pack cuts with spiderwebs. No scar! She kept a cabinet with spiders for all scrapes and cuts. Kinda gross, but it worked!