Friday, April 06, 2007

Yes, They are Playing for a Green Jacket

Another sign of the coming of Spring, though no one seemed to tell Mother Nature, is The Masters. It is possibly the most famous golf tournament in the world, though some Europeans will yell for the British Open, it is definitely the most famous tournament in the United States.
For my family, golf has always been a sport that we watch on TV. Tex was a golf coach once, so their is a part of him that actually watches these guys shoot and he knows what they are supposed to be doing. Me? I just go out and whack the hell out of the ball when I play and hope it goes straight. I usually enjoy watching the tournaments because it just looks warmer wherever they are playing. But, The Masters is also memories. I can still remember back in 1986 when Jack Nicklaus made his big comeback. He was old for golfers back then, and made a late charge to win his final green jacket. I don't know what I remember more, the excitement and cheers of the crowd, or the actually excitement Tex showed sitting in the living room watching it unfold. Another example of how sports can give you life long memories.
This year, I don't see how anyone can stop Tiger. Heck, I barely know who half these guys are and I am someone who pays attention to golf. Mickelson is not doomed yet, but he is surely teetering and is really only still in the tournament because Tiger had a lackluster first round, and a lot of the guys out in front are pretenders. If I had a dark horse pick from here, it would be Vaughn Taylor. And that's just a dark horse because you may have never heard of him.

Oh, a few other thoughts. If you are watching the coverage, keep an eye out for a wild colored haired photographer running around with her camera in the background. It could be Rhian. And if you do see her, ask her if she got my requests, er emails.

And if the board of Augusta National, weren't still a bunch of old fuddy duddies, keeping their club closed off and not allowing women as members, they might get to see sights like this some afternoon in Amen Corner.



9 comments:

Anthony said...

They'll never change, which is good and bad. The bad part is obvioius, but the good?

It will never be "The Southwest Airlines Amen Corner". Logos have not yet taken over the tournament. In a game driven by sponsorship, that's rare and admirable to a point.
They run their own show down there.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I grew up with my dad loving to watch golf on tv. For me, it was like watching paint dry. I married a man who loves football and wasn't interested in golf. Now, for the last 16 months, he eats, sleeps and breathes golf. Needless to say, he's VERY excited about the Masters!

:) Enjoy!

Slackermommy said...

I want to see your sexy feather dance!

Anonymous said...

I've watched a few tourney's on TV, but as a rule, I don't tend to watch sports on TV. If I can't see it live, I don't bother. I took golf lessons as a kid, and I could probably be pretty good if I played regular. Once every two years isn't very regular.

Rhian said...

Yo Sparks - i do believe I have a few things here with a Masters insignia on them crying out for your mailing address. Also - i got a call that the special Tiger/Phil prints will be ready for pickup monday - so i can mail the package on Tuesday.
Did you read that Gary Players wants copies of my photos (squeee!) Thank the goddess you told me who the hell he was. (snicker)
Going back out tomorrow. Spent today being smacked around by clients who couldn't reach me yesterday. Yup - i'm pretty sick of golf now.

Blog said...

Oh great, you're telling me the hubby will be watching golf all the time, now? As if basketball and hockey weren't bad enough? At least I get basketball....

Rhian said...

guess you saw - Zack blew 'em all away....

Anonymous said...

Who in the real world plays golf in a crop top? LOL!

Anonymous said...

Nick and I went out to the Byron Nelson last weekend. We followed Singh around for awhile, then sat on 14 and watched about 8 groups come through before bailing out due to sweatiness.

I can't really 'do' sports on TV. I can only get into it if it's live.

I need to go pro. Those who made the cut made $12K over the weekend. Dang. I'm a bogey golfer that plays once a year with the same clubs my dad bought me when I was 13...I wonder what I could do with practice and equipment...