Thursday, April 26, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #32-Dragonfly One


Thirteen Things about Dragonflies


I know Im strange, but I love Dragonflies!

1.A dragonfly is any insect belonging to the order Odonata, the suborder Epiprocta or, in the strict sense, the infraorder Anisoptera.(all greek to me) It is characterized by large multifaceted eyes, two pairs of strong transparent wings, and an elongated body.

2.Dragonflies are good. Dragonflies typically eat mosquitoes, midges and other small insects like flies, bees, and butterflies. They are usually found around lakes, ponds, streams, and wetlands because their larvae, known as "nymphs", are aquatic.

3.Dragonflies have excellent eyesight due to their eye structure. Their compound eyes have up to 30,000 facets, each of which is a separate light-sensing organ arranged to give nearly a 360° field of vision.

4.Europeans were not Dragonfly fans. In Europe, dragonflies have often been viewed as sinister. Some English vernacular names, such as "devil's needle" and "ear cutter", link them with evil or injury. A Romanian folk tale says that the dragonfly was once a horse possessed by the devil, and Swedish folklore holds that the devil uses dragonflies to weigh people's souls.[5] Another Swedish legend holds that trolls use the dragonflies as spindles when weaving their clothes as well as sending them to poke out the eyes of their enemies.

5.Yet Native Americans grasped their spiritual importance. It is said in some Native American beliefs that dragonflies are a symbol of renewal after a time of great hardship.

6.Japan was known as Akitsushima, which means "Land of the Dragonflies".

7. They come not only in red, fuchsia, orange, pink, blue, gold, saffron, black, emerald, maroon, earth tones, and more, but also in metallic colors. Some have colored, spotted or banded wings; others may have clear wings but clubbed abdomens or a spike on their tail.

8.No they don't bite, they look scarier then they really are.

9. Dragonflies migrate like birds and deal with the same weather conditions that song birgs do. Although dragonflies are 140 million years older than birds, according to fossil records, they abide by the same temperature and wind rules. Both groups stay put on blustery days and travel only after two days of cooling temperatures. They even use the same markers on the landscape, and rest on the same beaches.

10.Dragonfly shows us that life, like light, can bend, shift, and adapt in various ways, making life's appearance never be what it appears to be. Dragonfly's magic shows us to see through life's illusions and find our true vision.

11. They are one of the oldest creatures of the Mother Gaia. They are inhabitants of two realms, water and air, making them special and adaptable creatures. If a dragonfly has shown up in your life, you may need some fresh air in regard to something emotional.

12.Dragonfly's played a pivotal part in a movie starring Kevin Costner in 2002. The movie dropped itself into alot of plot lines involving rebirth and eternal life beyond heaven, hence the two realms.

13. When we were in Hawaii, I was determined to get a Dragonfly henna tattoo, no matter how girly it looked. I fully believe that Dragonflies has mystical powers and are much more ancient then we think.


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





25 comments:

Rhian said...

every once in awhile i get adopted by a new totem. dragonfly was the most recent a few years ago. a friend gave me a charm bracelet with a wolf, goddess and dragonfly on it. As we were talking about the signifigance of it (i had just saved a dragonfly the week before from death by locked office), a dragonfly came and landed on my hand. Freaked everyone at the party out. well, except me. i just smiled.

Unknown said...

I love Dragonflies too. We have a bunch that buzz around our pool every year. They freaked my girls out at first, but then they grew to really like them. Awesome list!

Dewey said...

There comes a point when a flying bug is SO BIG that it starts almost counting as a pretty bird, instead of a creepy insect.

Anonymous said...

I too love dragonflies, but didn't know half of that information. Great list!

Tilly Greene said...

Hmmm, not sure I love them...being poorly sighted they seem to hover too close for comfort...but I have more respect for them now. I didn't know they migrated.

Tink said...

Not strange at all, I love dragonflies too! The dragonfly is regarded as a symbol of light, adaptability, grace and transformation.
My TT is a list of 13 things I do on the computer.

Anonymous said...

Hey, do you have Medicine Cards? You might like them. Jamie Samms did them. I use my everyday. Whenever I pick Dragonfly it reminds me that everything is an illusion, nothing is as it seems.

LOVED this post!

Stephanie said...

Ya know...I grew up on a farm, and used to see dragonflies a lot. Their size always scared the bejesus out of me!! I don't really do bugs. Actually, I'm quite sure I was switched at birth because I really don't think I was meant to be a farm girl. Very Scary!!

Good post though. I actually learned something!

Anonymous said...

No, no..

I didn't say "I" was cooler, I said my Jetta is cooler :)

Twyla said...

I've always been freaked out by dragonflies...I guess because I though they did bite. Good to know they don't. Last summer I was out kayaking on the lake, and there were about 10 dragonflies flying all around me. I just sat there and didn't move until they left. It was strange.

Carmen said...

I enjoy dragonflies, myself. They're interesting to watch.

Aisling said...

here's another. Dragonflies can scare the pants off you, when you are lounging in a beach chair, on a lovely beach, on a beautiful sunny day, reading your book, and glance up from your book, just in time to see one flying in a straight line for your face!
I still think they're beautiful though.

Anonymous said...

I just loved this post. One of my fave nicknames for my husband is "Mr. Dragonfly Eyes..." That's assuming, of course, he's not pissing me off!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Remember The Rescuers? Evenrude? I've loved dragonflies ever since, but never knew any of this. Thanks for the education! :D

(btw, I answered your toilet question... five and a half baths, which equals six toilets)

Biff Spiffy said...

Can't read it!! Half the page is cut off... trying IE..

Biff Spiffy said...

OK That worked.

Cool!

I'd never say it looked girly to your face.

My cousin had a dragonfly-themed wedding - verrrry cool - lots of hand made dragonfly mobiles with colored gel wings hanging from the big wedding tent ceiling. My kids each got to take one home.

Robin said...

Anything that eats mosquitos is okay in my book. How cool that they migrate, I didn't know that.

Becky said...

YOu have way too much time on your hands to have written this much information about dragonflies.

LOL

Anna Mary said...

I want 360 degree vision!

Happy TT!

kuanyin333 said...

Count me in as a big dragonfly fan. I didn't know so much about them until I read your list. Mahalo! Happy TT!

Christie O. said...

nice tat! dragonflies are really cool. i like them in real life but i realllly like them in paintings and drawings and on towels and pillows and my old car seat covers.

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

The dragonfly tat is very cool, not girly at all. But, it looks like you've shaved your leg. True?

Wylie Kinson said...

Dragon flies scare me. So do butterflies. I'm weird that way... flying things freak me out.
But they are beautiful, I'll give you that! And your post was very interesting. It's amazing how different cultures have oppossing views of the same harmless creature.

Anonymous said...

Wow!What a cool TT! Love your tat. We live by MANY Golf Courses, and have the most gorgeous DragonFlies flying through our yard. They are as huge as helicopters, and Monarch butterflies.
Great TT!

Anonymous said...

There are so many dragonflies in Japan in autumn. I agree with you, they are very beautiful. Lovely tatoo you have!