Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #27-The Subscription One


Thirteen Magazine Subscriptions I have had or have


The wife thinks I am a magazine junkie. On some Thursdays or Fridays, our mailbox is filled with different periodicals. I don't even have time to read through them all, yet I have to count to 20 sometimes to stop from adding a new subscription to the list. Here is some of my magazine history.

1. Sports Illustrated-A natural, its the bible of sports reporting, or at least the bible that has the most customers.

2.The Sporting News-While I still get this magazine, it was much better when I was a kid. It came in newspaper variety instead of the glossy version of today and it was the only place I could get all sorts of stats before the internet existed.

3 & 4-Time and Newsweek-Time was first, but I find Newsweek to be a bit better. I think there is a tad less slant to the right to it.

5.A Taste of Home-Some great recipes, but, they also seem to be very very fattening recipes.

6.Maxim-The King of the non nudie men's magazine. I still have the Anna Kournikova and Christina Aguilera editions stored safely in a box in my basement.

7.Rolling Stone-I think I started getting the subscription just before it really began to suck. Though it still feels like a magazine for my father and not me.

8.PSM-A Unofficial Playstation Magazine, that used to be great once a month for some game samples. Plus they had some good reviews. I am in a holding pattern until I get my hands on a PS3, so I have let this one lapse.

9.ESPN-Yes, Another sports magazine, big and glossy. I think I might be a tad to old for this magazine, because there are a lot of times that I feel smarter then the actual articles.

10.Electronic Gaming Monthly-It has since become Games for Windows. IMO the best magazine for games for your PC. Not only do they tell you what sucks, they had a great editorial last month about how computer developers are making games that the computers right now are too slow for.

11.Blender-A men's Magazine for music. But ladies, don't run from the magazine, its the new Rolling Stone, since they have embraced the Itunes generation by telling you what songs to download individually. Plus, yes, the chicks are hot.

12.Everyday with Rachael Ray
-The great recipes of Rachael Ray, without the annoying perky voice in your face.

13.Cosmopolitan-Mrs Duck actually got this magazine, though we kept getting it even after we started living together, because my cousin, Bowdoin, was writing for them. Now that she has moved to Fitness, I think the 30 tips for great sex issue wont be showing up in the mailbox.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





39 comments:

Mama Duck said...

Ooooo, we get a lot of these too ;). Great list! Happy TT!

Lisa - Lil Duck Duck

Anthony said...

I go through phases with magazines. I used to read Mother Jones and some music and music-business stuff, but with the Internet, I find I don't need them as much.
I still pick up SI at the newsstand, and I think it's a high-quality magazine. Better than it used to be.

I keep waiting for a local team to win a championship so I can buy a subscription and get the free junk they package with it. Something tells me that if a Philly team ever wins anything, subscriptions at SI will skyrocket.

Slackermommy said...

Wow, that's a lot of magazines. How do you find the time?

Alicia said...

I get Playboy.
I read it for the articles.

Wylie Kinson said...

How un-fem is it for me to admit that I love Maxim? The writing is sharp and witty -- far more interesting that Cosmo, Glamour and that ilk!
I don't get TIME, but it's Canadian equivalent - MacLeans. It's my preferred method of grasping political/world news

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Am I a totally warped woman because I like both Blender and Maxim? Well, Maxim not so much, but Blender rocks. (and that's one I ought to subscribe to. Thanks for the reminder!)

I also dig Wireless a lot. Seen it yet?

(and why NOT get the 30 tips for great sex issues? They're funny as hell!)

crpitt said...

I don't get any magazines, i get bore to easy with them.
Although i use to regularly annoy my dad by cutting out all the gorgeous blokes in Mens Health, they were wearing the right type of undies!
Oh my best mate works for sony and her fella is one of designers for the F1 game.
You can lurk away on my blog, i just might surprise you with a booby prize one day! Also any comments are good.
Toodle Pip!

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

We don't actually subscribe any longer. Just no time, and when they cost so much, I feel obligated to read them!!

Peg said...

LMAO at Sparky!! Great Minds think alike!! :D

Unknown said...

I used to get some cool magazines. Now I get ones for my kids and that's all I can afford! Those stupid things are expensive. :)

Kimo and Sabi said...

WE fink "Cat Fancy" magazine is a purrdy good read.

Desert Songbird said...

We do most of our reading online, but the three actually hard copy magazines we DO get are Sports Illustrated (of course! This subscription is actually mine - got it for my birthday), Business Week, and Business 2.0.

Sigh - we're boring.

Mercy's Maid said...

I used to be a Cosmo subscriber (when I was in college) these days I don't subscribe to any magazines. I got tired of having them clutter up the house.

Thanks for stopping by my 13!

Tilly Greene said...

Just went out for lunch and now I'm heading out for the magazine fix - fashion, its all about fashion, and a little gossip. The only subscriptions we have delivered are Xbox Magazine and RT Bookclub Reviews. The first is for us and the second is for me :-)

Anonymous said...

We get Rachel Ray and Maxim, kind of His and Hers magazines. I'll have to check out the Blender one, looks interesting.
Have a great Thursday, Sparky!

Tink said...

Great idea for a TT list, I might steal it one day. :-) I know some of the magazines you mention. I always buy sports magazines in a shop, because there are so much that I make my choice right there.
Thanks for visiting my cars TT!

Penny said...

This is a great idea for a TT!

The worst recipe I ever made was in a Taste of Home magazine. They test them a million times in that test kitchen. (I don't live far from it and have been there a million times.)

I love Rachel Ray's recipes!

We don't subscribe to many magazines. We get sick of them too quickly.

Anonymous said...

My husband gets car magazines and I get Moutain Astrologer. We got rid of most our subscriptions.

Twyla said...

I've only subscribed to one magazine in my entire life...and I'll never tell which one. LOL

Unknown said...

Great thirteen! I'd really have to work hard to cut my focus down to thirteen...I think I have a thousand subscription...Can't even keep them all straight.

Anonymous said...

I love Taste of Home. They have really great color photos of the dishes! Although, my meals don't usually end up looking like theirs.

Anonymous said...

I have had a few of these also. If you get Parents magazine, my daughter, "Baggageandbug" is a recommended blog in the April edition.

Anonymous said...

Great list of mags! Hubby and I used to get a pile of them, too, but we stopped because we didn't make the time to read them all. :)

Happy TT, and thanks for visiting my blog!

Chelle said...

I feel the exact same way about Rachael Ray. Love her recipes but, her voice makes my ears bleed.

Sarge Charlie said...

Hi sparky, You made me do some work and I want to thank you for that, stop by and check it out.

Time and Newsweek, a tad less slant to the right.......wow, I have long since abandoned them, to the right, no way.

But we can still be friends.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i used to get alot of mags but got bored with them. smiles, bee

Rashenbo said...

Heheh, I'm not much of a magazine reader. I used to get Time... :) That's about it :D

Thanks for stopping by my blog. There are a couple of magazines I'd like to have a subscription to, though.

Spy Scribbler said...

You are magazine junkie! You make me miss them, though! I used to have quite a few subscriptions. Vogue and the sort, though.

Happy TT!

Christina (BookTasty) said...

You're definitly a guy!! :)

JO said...

the only thing I've ever subscribe to was the Reader's Digest.

Kathy said...

All good mags, but SI and Newsweek are my personal favorites. I would have to add Entertainment Weekly, cuz I like to keep up with that whole movie thing.

Joan said...

I guess I am a magazine junkie too. I liked your capsule descriptions of each. Thank for coming by my blog.

Anonymous said...

All of a sudden, I don't think our magazine subscriptions (4) are too many. I'm with your wife - definitely showing symptoms of addiction.

NB: The hubby used to like Maxim until he found UMM.

Neila said...

My husband is also a magazine junkie. We only get three of the ones on your list, but ohhhh, so many more. He keeps getting me subscriptions as gifts even though I plead with him not to because I don't even have time to read street signs, much less magazines.

*sigh* I do love Rachael Ray. She's growing on me - annoying voice and all. :-)

Carmen said...

I love magazines. I had to cut back to save some money. I miss my Cosmo. :)

Anonymous said...

maxim has really let me down lately. i think hiring the new editor was a big mistake.

Anonymous said...

I love your description of #12. I really wish I could cook like her, but I'm more of a Quick Cooking girl. Oh wait, I'm really more of a microwave girl.

Blog said...

I got a subscription to US Weekly for my b-day...Loves it! ;)

Anonymous said...

Even if you have a lot of magazine subscription, it's a good thing that you know how to pick the right stuff. Your magazine subscription on a particular magazine differs from the other one. And it all represents your interest. So for me, it's just normal that your mailbox will be filled with magazines.