Friday, January 12, 2007

Maher Rules Preamble

So, I got plenty of books for Christmas and I am finally starting to dig into some of them. I found this one on my pile, though I think it was a birthday present. I have always enjoyed the stand up of Bill Maher, though some of his acting choices in the past have been questionable. Anyway, as I go along through this book, I realized this is some great blog fodder. So be prepared for Bill to pop up now and again, I know, I know your thrilled.

So as a warm up this one struck me and got one of those post-it stickies:
Foreward page viii



Whatever happened to all the rules we used to live by anyway? Before the "Me" Generation, followed by the "Me Me Me" Generation, followed by the "What Part of Me Dont you Understand?" Generation, there were rules- rules like "No Trespassing", "No Shoes, no shirt, no service" and "please dont touch the Dancers"- and they applied to everyone. Nowadays, these same rules are either ignored completely or viewed more as suggestions to be followed a la carte, depending on which one we like.

1 comments:

Maven said...

I read that book. I took it along on vacation. It's a relatively quick and satisfying read... but satisfying like Chinese food. It'll fill you up for the moment. Later on, you'll need something "more."