Friday, October 13, 2006

Recipeville

Kristie from Slacker-moms-r-us came up with idea and I love it. I adore cooking, everyone says I should become a chef, but I want my hobby to stay a hobby. Anyway, Im going to post a recipe and if you try it, let me know how it went or share your own on your blog and lemme know its there.

Chicken Mole Poblano a recipe I got from The Great American Cookbook, which by the way I only paid a dollar for at Michael's.

3 Tbsp oil
4 chicken pieces, about 8 ozs total
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1 hot DRIED chile reconstitueted and chopped (the canned chiles are too hot)
1 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
1 tbsp chopped almonds
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, cumin and ground cloves
3 tomatoes peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons raisins
1.5 cups chicken stock (plus some extra incase its dry)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 oz semisweet chocolate (i used powder)

Serve with rice or noodles

1.Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the chicken and set aside

2.Add the onion, garlic, and chiles and cook for 5 minutes. Add the sesame and the nuts and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes, stock, raisins, peanut butter and chocolate and stir well. Let simmer for 5 minutes.

3.Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process until smooth. (I blended a half of a cup or so and that worked out fine, instead of the entire sauce)

4.Return the mixture to the skillet, add the chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer covered for an hour or so (after 35 minutes the mixture was good to go for us) or until chicken is tender, adding more stock as necessary.

5.Serve over rice.

Sparkys Notes:Ok, I made this last week, and it tasted great, except it was way too hot, even for me. I used the goya chipolte peppers in adobo sauce because i could not locate any dry peppers. Big mistake, no matter how many additional tablespoons of peanut butter and chocolate I added, it was still hot. So, next time, I will use a seeded jalapeno or poblano fresh pepper if I cant find dried.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I can never pass up a recipe with chocolate. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

tiggerprr said...

I'm curious, all those flavors together...maybe I'll make it some time after hubby gets better from his cold. Thanks for posting it! :)

Anonymous said...

I love chicken Mole. I will have to pass this on to the hubby or maybe even dust off my apron and it give a whirl myself!

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Looks good. I'm going to make chili this weekend, and the sauce calls for cocoa. Awwww yeah! And, where is the recipe for the Apple Cake? :D

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

PS: Dried ancho chilies are mild and add a nice smoky flavor to sauces. You can order dried chilies online at:
http://www.loschileros.com/