Monday, June 16, 2008

That would have been painful to watch

Unfortunately, technology screwed me today, since my phone beeped to let me know that Tiger Woods had defeated Rocco Mediate in a 19 hole playoff today. I did my best to stay away from any news, keeping the radio off and not skipping off to the Action News website to make sure Philadelphia had not imploded today, and yet, I could not avoid it.

So while Mrs Duck and I half watch our TiVo, there is a part of me that is glad to know. Because, the Duck Family was pulling for Mediate, not only because he was born in Pennsylvania, but because he was a normal guy.

Subway told us a story while we were at the Heritage. He was outside his shop, setting up for the morning, when he saw Rocco Mediate having a conversation about what wine to buy across the parking lot in Hilton Head. I've done that, you've done that, we have all done that, which is why Rocco was just a regular guy.

So to see him lose in Sudden Death, without knowing it ahead of time might have ruined my night.

4 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

While I don't follow golf, from what I've read, this was a stunner. I'm not surprised at the outcome - Tiger is a machine. Would have been nice to see the old guy win, though.

Jenny McB said...

Bless me father for I have sinned, I left work 45 minutes early and my friend gave me the stroke by stroke play of the 17th hole, I got home in time for the last putt on the 18th and was rooting for Rocco also. But hey, at least he got this far and for Tiger was human this weekend. (except for his golf, what a golfer!!) It really was an exciting tournament. Can you imagine being Rocco, waking up this morning and knowing what was ahead of you? Not just another day on the course, he did awesome, given the pressure.

Valtool said...

Tiger is a phenomenon. To win this tournament while in pain and to still play at the level he did is amazing.

Also, I think those who say he is not a Grand Slam achiever are full of bunk. He won the 4 majors consecutively. The detail that they were not in the same calendar year is a ridiculous thing to deny him the claim over.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

It was a brilliant 19 holes of golf...some of the best I have ever watched...