Monday, August 06, 2007

Manic Monday-All Sooners Lie?



College football has a lot of on going traditions. There is the famous dotting of the "I" in OHIO at Ohio State football games. The running of Ralphie the Buffalo at Colorado games. The University of Miami at Florida getting into some sort of fist fight on the football field. And of course, the Oklahoma Sooners caught as some sort of liars, or at least rule benders every few years or so.

The Oklahoma Sooners have been told to vacate all 8 wins they had from the 2005 season as well as the victory over Oregon in the Holiday Bowl, because Rhett Bomar and JD Quinn were caught in a lie. Apparently, Bomar and Quinn said that they had worked at a car dealership during the summer, collecting full time pay checks. It turns out the two of the pretty much clocked in and then went fishing, or anything else there cheating hearts desired.

So, its like the 2005 season only half existed for the Sooners, which makes for a weird schedule if someone looks back at the record books in 20 years. They went 0-4 and thats it. Now, to me, the fact that those wins did not get made into losses is one big fat lie to college football fans everywhere.

As I always say though, if there is one coach I would never see having all of this trouble, its the annoying cry baby Bob Stoops.



12 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting take on the theme!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts - we don´t have College football in Germany... but soccer... something quite similar happened in the soccer leagues round here some years ago.

Sandee said...

I didn't know any of this. What a nice angle on the word lie. I guess this type of thing happens everywhere at some time or another. Have a great MM with Mo. :)

Anonymous said...

what a great take on the theme!!

Durward Discussion said...

Why should the whole team be punished for the lies told by two that did not affect the game. Fines yes. Tossed off the team yes. Reduction in grades if still in school. But lie about the win/loss record in t he record books? That's not right.

Sparky Duck said...

Jamie-Its because they played in the games during the 2005 season, and technically should not have been eligible to do so. So, they should not have been able to throw touchdowns or block for the running backs. They should have been ghosts

Unknown said...

I know nothing of football. Aside from watching a group of burly men jump atop one another, pat hiny's and scratch, ahem, well, you know. I did however enjoy your MM!

~giggles~

Rebecca said...

I don't know much about football. But I do know it's hard for me to like a team by the name of "sooners" - maybe if someone were to explain it to me I'd understand better.

Oh well, Sparky I wanted to tell you I posted the results of my TT13 Food Edition ;-)

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

this is sports, right sparky? i got that much. hey! where is my link? no link, no cake, tell me again, why do i come here? ha ha ha

smiles, bee

Linda said...

A most original take on the thing!

Great job. Sports "scandals" are always interesting but sometimes all too frequent, too.

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Oy! Football already?!?

Cinnamon Girl said...

Nice take on the theme! Don't like that coach, eh?

Sarge Charlie said...

good one sparkey