Monday, August 13, 2007

Becoming Jane-3 Quacks


Over the weekend, Mrs Duck and I ventured out to the movie theater, to see Becoming Jane starring Anne Hathaway and James McAvoy. We were in one of those smaller theaters, but it was jam packed, and I could count on one hand the amount of guys in the room. But, those guys that dropped there girlfriends off and went to see Transformers again, actually missed something quite good.

The movie is loosely based on the younger life of Jane Austen, who really needs to further introduction or follow up. Hathaway did an excellent job of portraying the young Austen with some spirit, but also the beginnings of being a hopeless romantic. I found the way that they showed the creative process of Austen quite interesting. Someone as talented as her still had a fragile self confidence when it came to her writing. And in one part, the switch of expressions of Hathaway from when she is just dancing at a ball to dancing with the one she has an attraction for was priceless. Hathaway has grown up from the bumbling character in Princess Diaries.

The movie was beautifully shot and the soundtrack really got you sucked into the story even deeper. Plus, you could see how Austen may have based some of her most famous works off her experiences growing up, because some were just too similar.

The movie may have been a tad long, I could have clipped 5 minutes here or there of trudging through the woods or cleaning up slop, but most of the time was needed to introduce the characters and make the plot expand even more. I never looked at my watch.

Now, I knew the end, because I am a history geek. But, Mrs Duck was not that up on every facet of Austen's life, so be sure to bring a hankie if you do see it.

Becoming Jane=3 quacks out of 4

-

Oh and be prepared for a glowing review of My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult in the weeks to come. I picked the book up yesterday around 9 or so and could not put it down until 1 in the morning when my eyes finally gave out. Love this book already.

10 comments:

Christie O. said...

oh i am so jealous! i have to see that this weekend, i have to! i love jane austen and i am so uberexcited about that movie!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Yup I am excited to see it but a bit reticent as I do know the back story and the basis for the premise of the movie.

Wylie Kinson said...

I was contemplating seeing that - and based on your recommendation, I'll make a point of it.
Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sparky! I will definitely have to see Becoming Jane. Sounds like a really good movie, one that would rivet me to my seat!

And oh, My Sister's Keeper -- I read it some months ago and loved it. I have a glowing review of it on my blog (in the archives), but don't read my review until you have finished the book, because a major spoiler in my review would make you drub me severely about the head and shoulders.

Anonymous said...

Or is it a major spoiler in my comment section? Anyhow, I don't remember -- anyway, it's one heck of a good book.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

What a guy....given the choice I would have seen this over the Transformers....

Unknown said...

I haven't seen this yet, but can't wait to go! And I liked Transformers...

Anonymous said...

I want to see this! I may take my girls to it. So glad you liked it.

I have not been able to read that Picout book. I think it is the title...

Rebecca said...

I'm going to have to add this to my "must watch" list...

Anonymous said...

Oooh. I am sooo dragging Nick to this movie. I actually like Anne Hathaway. He thinks she has freakishly large eyes.