Friday, June 22, 2007

Case of the Shys

Now, yesterday I was all big on sharing some secrets of me, including the fact that I seem to be extraordinarily shy when it comes to social situations. I know, I know, you are sitting there thinking, Sparky? Shy??!? No freaking way.

Well, allow me to present Exhibit A. Colleen Gleason, an author of Victorian Vampire novels and I have been talking via email and blogs for over 6 months at least. Its not like I have never had some sort of communication with this woman before, she is not a complete stranger. Heck, she is the one that found my blog first, so I must have something witty to offer.

Colleen was in North Wales, Pa, just across the street from the Montgomeryville Mall, signing books of her second release, Rises the Night, in the Gardella Vampire Hunter/Killer/Venator series (its one of those words). So, as we found her in the corner of the Borders, scribbling away with her sharpie, I was a blithering bafooon. I stuttered, I stammered, I felt I might have looked like one of those 16 year old geeks who was meeting William Shatner for the first time at a Star Trek convention. I could not even really explain where by nom de plume even comes from. Its Sparky Duck for petes sake, how hard can that be?

If Mrs Duck was not there to help with the conversation, it would have been "Um good book, yes next book good signed too, ugh ugh, caveman go now." I swear I have a brain, I would have talked about the weather in Michigan, how exciting that book 3 is already under contract, why she was in this area in the first place since most of her tour was in Michigan. Did I? Nope? At least I didnt drool. Oh and I was normal enough to pose for a picture, with Mrs Duck and of course Colleen in the middle.

Famous!

11 comments:

Valtool said...

Good Lord, Sparky Duck and I are separated long lost brothers! And I used to get my Atari 2600 cartridges at the Montomery Mall, Rt 309 baby!

Tilly Greene said...

You are so not alone Sparky and you are lucky Mrs Duck was there beside you!

I travel hours to meet an author with a friend of mine and when it came face-to-face with the best paper engineer in the world I turned red and on a high pitched voice, squealed out my joy...and she was no better and a good 20 years older than me!

Nope, not shy, we're just completely gobsmacked when faced with our abruptly being kicked back into puberty!

But you have signed books and a pic...can't get better than that :-)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

That's all part of why we love you, Sparky. You did just fine ... in picking Mrs. Duck, who is quite lovely!

(Colleen's looking good, too, and you. You're just adorable.)

Desert Songbird said...

Well, at least you have a normal smile on your face. Whenever my hubby have their photo taken, he gets the goofiest smile on his face. Sigh. Luckily our wedding photos are pretty decent.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Kidlet and I have decided we look like someone should hold telethon's for us in our pictures. Desert is right, Spark, you may be shy but you smile like a normal person!

Rhian said...

"Um good book, yes next book good signed too, ugh ugh, caveman go now." LMAO!!!! Thanks for making me snort soda up my nose. It's a good look for me.

The first i met a blog bud was when i went to Stak's music awards. Initial encounter was slightly awkward, it was less so with his wife who is just a bundle of dynamite. But smoothed out to the point that i was invited to their wedding reception. I think it's because as bloggers we develop a mental image of our buds based solidly in words (even when pics are seen)so face to face becomes a minor surprise, even to us gregarious types.

Tug said...

I'd have probably done the same thing. ;-)

Check out my latest sticky post if you're so inclined...we really want to get the good thoughts & prayers going.

Anonymous said...

I am so shocked to find out that you can actually get tongue-tied. I am even more shocked to finally see a photo of you! Yay! Now I have a face to put to Sparky Duck!

Unknown said...

I know I've reacted the same way when I met some author friends of mine for the first time. What an awesome picture too!

Anthony said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anthony said...

Reminds me of when I was leaving Bulle Rock after Saturday's round. I'm walking out to the bus and Christie Kerr is walking toward the driving range - 15 feet from me. I formed about 10 sentences in my head, but none of them made it to my mouth.
If the brain was working, it would have said something like, "hey, I met your aunt, she's a very nice lady," but instead ... nothing.

Oh well, at least I got a picture with Paula and you got one with Colleen. Not too shabby, eh?