Sunday, May 06, 2007

Still Makes Me Cry

Ok, I know its totally stupid. Its beyond crazy to even allow an animal to let you get at all emotional. But we watched the Barbaro documentary taped from last night and I could feel myself getting emotional and choked up 2 or 3 times. The horse was brillant and while people may just think they are stupid animals, I think they determined and their is usually a certain intelligence in their eyes. So, about a year ago, give or take, was Barbaro's most spectacular moment. I just had to share.

6 comments:

Anthony said...

To me, it seems as though they are borderline abused. The trainers and all the others involved try to make us think that they are born to run, or some such thing, but I wonder.
I love animals too much to think that they are happy doing things like this, and I refuse to accept any anthropomorphic explanation of what they do, simply because we want them to do it.
Until I hear directly from the animal, they cannot prove me wrong.

Some things that wealthy people do for their entertainment rankle me sometimes.

As they say, "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt."

Anonymous said...

That horse was amazing.

My bigggest regret in life is not continueing to ride. And, that is saying something.

Unknown said...

Nice post.I have a lot of respect for those beautiful animals and it makes me sad when I hear one has been hurt

Desert Songbird said...

I don't think it's silly, Sparky. Barbaro was the embodiment of those qualities we admire: grace, determination, beauty, free-spiritedness. How could one not be moved to sadness that this courageous creature lost the greatest battle of them all - the one to live?

Anthony said...

"Grace, determination, beauty, free-spiritedness".

Do you think the horse really knew all that, or are those qualities which we assigned to him?

Tug said...

Horses are not stupid. Cows? Stupid. But not horses..