Thursday, April 12, 2007

Thursday 13 #30-The South Carolina One


Thirteen Things about South Carolina


The Duck Family is off this weekend, to the Palmetto State, Hilton Head to be exact. Its sun, fun, warmth, golf and in laws. No, no, really, its going to be fun. So, to help you share in the excitement, my list of course, I am not bringing you with me.

1.South Carolina has one of the coolest state flags ever.
south_carolina_state_flag

2.The capital of South Carolina is Columbia, even though the most famous known city would probably be Charleston. Columbia is also home to the University of South Carolina.

3.South Carolina was also the first state to succede from the Union. The bombardment of Fort Sumter, in December 1860, is the first major battle of the Civil War. No one actually died from the hostilities, though a soldier supposedly was killed when his cannon blew up as the North was shooting off a surrender. If you are ever in Charleston, you should be sure to head out to the Fort Sumter monument.

4.James Brown, Joe Frazier, Stephen Colbert, Strom Thurmond, Eartha Kitt and Ben Bernacke are all famous sons and daughters of South Carolina.

5.Hootie and The Blowfish are known for getting their start in the many colleges and college bars in South Carolina. You can either applaud that or throw stuff at your computer now.

6.Mrs Duck & I are headed to Hilton Head, where we will stay with Subway and Doc. Spice Girl and the Tin Man will be following on Friday.

7.It is nearly impossible to get a direct flight from Philadelphia to Savannah or Hilton Head. So, not only do we have to deal with USAir, but we also have to deal with USAir transferring in Charlotte. Joy!

8.The key feature of the trip, besides visiting of course will be the final round of the Heritage Classic, being held at Harbourtown Country Club.

9.The tournament is worth 5.5 million dollars. Yes, thats right, a bunch of fat guys and the guys you called geeks in high school will be chasing a little white ball for 5.5 million dollars.

10.The last time we visited, Mrs Duck and Doc swear they saw Tom Cruise. I was off at the bathroom at the time, and since their is no photographic evidence of this occurrence, I am not sure I believe it.

11.The Island Packet is the daily newspaper on Hilton Head Island. The Packet makes your high school newspaper look good.

12. The best place to get sandwiches on the Island is Larry's Subs.

13.We are just looking forward to spend some time in the warm air and sun. Please do whatever thing it is that you do to be sure that we are safe in arriving and that we have some warm air and sun.

I may not be able to visit as many blogs as I like to usually on Thursday, because of last minute details, but if you do leave a link, I promise to check your list next week when we come home.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





17 comments:

Kimo and Sabi said...

Ooooh! Ertha Kitt - ya know,...she was da first Cat Woman...MEEEEOOOOOW!

Marie said...

south carolina, huh?? sounds pretty exciting! i should visit the place. is wilmington in south carolina? i heard that's one very nice place, too! Great list this week!

Tilly Greene said...

Sending the sun vibes your way...but golf? Golf!?! Right up there, or should I say down there, with fishing! Get those winter white bodies out on the sand, do some bodysurfing, play volleyball...anything but watch guys walking around looking for a little white ball.

Enjoy the warm hols darlin'!

Carmen said...

i hope you have great weather and a great time!

Darla said...

Ooooh, have a wonderful trip.... despite the in-laws. :) I'm looking forward to reading all about it when you get back!

Twyla said...

Have a great trip Mr.& Mrs. Duck!

Baby Girl said...

I've never been to HH but I hear it's really nice. I though about going in the fall to play a little golf and to relax. Maybe some fishing.

I'm not kidding, I really like these things.

Post some pretty pics from the trip!

Raggedy said...

Oh what fun!
Enjoy!
I don't think I have been to your blog before. My parents live near you in PA and all my extended relatives are down south. I am sure your trip will be fantastic!
Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
My TT is posted.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Oh, you poor soul. USAir. I'm glad Pittsburgh's not a hub anymore; all of a sudden, we have affordable, direct flights to places.

Travel safe, have fun, and show the women how to use the cameras on their cell phones, just in case they see Tom again. Cheaty's Celebrity Gossip might pay big bucks for a picture. *wink*

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip, the only airline I like to fly with is SouthWest. As a travel agent at one time, I dealt with them all, and the only airline who didn't give me attitude was SW.
HH sounds like a woderful place to get away too. Really 5.5 million!! Maybe my husband should take up golf!LOL!
Have a fantastic time! Can't wait to hear all the details!

Michelle Pillow said...

I've only driven through SC, but heard it's a great place to visit :)
Great list!
Michelle
http://www.michellepillow.com/authorblog/

Carina said...

I was just saying the other day what a cool flag SC had.

Great TT!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a great weekend coming up. Enjoy!!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Sounds like fun! Have a safe trip and a wonderful time. My hubby will definitely be jealous of the golf time and tournament attending you'll be doing! Be sure to eat some good seafood too, yum!

Anthony said...

Speaking of Hootie (we were, right?), I'm always a little put off by the fact that Darius is slightly offended when people call him "Hootie".

Hey, if you name a band Something and the Something's, can you really be twisted when people call you Something? He needs to get a grip and keep cashing the checks.
Are we supposed to know his name is Darius? OK, then it's Darius and the Blowfish.

Blog said...

Oh, really? I can't come, too? I want a vacay right now -- 'specially after the day I've had....

Maven said...

Have a fantabulous vacation! Don't forget, Ft. Jackson isn't too far from where you'll be:)