Monday, April 02, 2007

Another Sign of Spring

Last week, Tiff of No Accent Yet shared her few hints that spring had finally sprung for her. Now, she is south of the Mason-Dixon line, so while I am not overly jealous, she is way ahead of us up here in the chilly north on the spring meter. I did share an email with Tiff, partly because she loves the email, about how my allergies were in full bloom and my early morning wake up call from the landscaping crew.

But now, a real sign of spring is about ready to happen in Citizens Bank Park today. Phillie fans get their hopes up! Optimism is in full bloom here in the Delaware Valley, because the Philadelphia Phillies seemed poised to make the playoffs for the first time in many years. Now I am sure the Mets and the Braves have something to say about that, but for once it seems like it could be a team from Philadelphia's year. They have the reigning MVP and Home run King Ryan Howard, Mr Everything Chase Utley, and a new and improved starting rotation with Cole Hamels improving and Freddy Garcia now in the fold. Of course, their is a down side. Pat Burrell is still going to be taking up space in left field. I have never heard of any of the guys they have playing at 3B and the bullpen would probably be improved if Larry Andersen was pitching.

So, being a stoic, I think the Phillies will swoon again in August and then have to scramble again to have a shot at the wild card. August seems to be the death month for the Phillies and right now I do not see why this year will be any different. But hey, if you don't think I am going to watch every game I can watch, then you don't know Sparky Duck.

Oh and ladies, apparently, Cole Hamels is hot.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I cant believe I have yet to see a professional baseball game since Sheffield played for the braves..

You have something against Wicked? it was awesome..glad you dont hate me

Desert Songbird said...

Hmmm, Cole Hamels actually makes me want to watch baseball...

furiousBall said...

I'm relegated to watching from Gamecast on espn.com, but the Bravos are winning right now. [insert frowny face here]

Anonymous said...

I was in Phoenix this weekend and apparently it was the first day of baseball. Our hotel is right next to Chase Stadium. I've never seen so many people so excited! It was kind of cool.

Anthony said...

Hamels is pitching Wednesday, weather permitting. All but 6 of their April games are against divisional opponents, so if they get off to a bad start, it might bury them early.

But we won't think about that right now.

Jay said...

Yeah, I'd say so.

Tug said...

ooh...Coles? Me likey. NICE.

The only games I go to anymore (Rockies territory) is when the kids come down for the Cubs games. In Phoenix I got to see a lot - the year they won it all! Jackson, Schillinger, all of it. Play-off games I got to see McGuire, Maddox, MY YANKEES.......it was heaven.