Thursday, February 01, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #20-The NFL One


Thirteen of the greatest Players Ive Seen


I was going to do one on the 13 best Super Bowls, but I have been watching games since 1980 and I dont think I could have found 13 great games. So I went with players, but there gonna be modern ones, since I am only 34. And its gonna be quick since I am running so late.

1. Kellen Winslow-he changed the way Tight Ends are thought of. They are now more like slower receivers because of the way Winslow played the game.

2. Troy Aikman-a quarterback of the dynasty of the 90's. He was able to manage a game and all of there superstars and still win. Even though he was a, ughh, Cowboy.

3. Brett Favre-can make chicken salad out of chicken you know what. As long as there is time left on the clock, Favre is still in a ball game because he can make something happen anytime.

4. LaDanian Tomlinson- Holds the NFL record for touchdowns in one season. A multi Talented running back who can run, catch passes and even throw the ball on a spiral.

5. Tom Brady-Captain Clutch. If I had one game to play, he would be my Quarterback. Up until this year, he just did not lose when the game mattered most.

6.Walter Payton-"Sweetness" The career leading rusher in the NFL. Graceful as a gazelle and enough toughness to match his gracefulness.

7.Peyton Manning- I am not personally one of his biggest fans, but you never watch one of his games and say, good lord what an ugly pass. Finally won a big game this year so he has to make the list.

8. Jerry Rice-if a football was thrown his way, he was going to catch it. And tough as nails, which says alot for a wide receiver. I think he has both the most receptions for a career as well as most TD's for a wide receiver for a career.

9. Emmitt Smith-you dont know how much I hated him as a fan of other teams. Probably because he knew just how to beat your team. Ran for 200 yards against the Giants in the playoffs with a severly seperated shoulder. Tough.

10.Deion Sanders-yes, he couldnt tackle well, and yes he had a big mouth. But no one covered a receiver better. Fastest player I have ever seen and god forbid he was back returning punts against you, a touchdown was almost a guarantee.

11. Joe Montana-The original Captain Clutch. He never lost a Super Bowl in 4 tries. Cool in the pocket and never relief on one receiver to catch a ball.

12. Lawrence Taylor-the fiercest, scariest, toughest Linebacker ever, even when he wasnt doing cocaine. Just as Joe Theismann. Changed the way the NFL thinks of Linebackers.

13.Barry Sanders-The greatest runner I have ever seen. Could magically get out of any situation, out of any pile. A threat to run 80 yards everytime he touched the ball. Did all this in Detroit, who has sucked for as long as I can rememeber. the Greatest, period!

Apologies now to Terry Bradshaw, Cliff Branch, Roger Staubach, Fred Blientenkoff, Franco Harris and Lynn Swann. You guys may have made the list except for the fact that by the time I was watching football, you were all kinda on your last legs.

This list was hard, I know I missed some folks, but thats the fun of lists right? Did I miss any of your favorites?




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





21 comments:

Becky said...

I'm not a huge football fan, but I know who I do and don't like. Glad to see Troy and Peyton made your list, and that Jim McMann, and Boomer, didn't make your list.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my TT!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if Troy should have made the list over Roger. As far as Cowboy QBs go, I think Roger was better.

I have a hard time respecting some players because they are so arrogant. Um. Hello, it's your job to score touchdowns. I don't do a dance every time I perform well in my job. And I think all the players you listed were pretty self-less and weren't the 'look at me' celebrators.

Happy Thursday

Cinnamon Girl said...

Jerry and Joe were the dream team. Ronnie Lott was pretty damn awesome too!

Anthony said...

Off the top of my head, I would have put John Elway on the list, and deleted Deion ... but that's subjective ... since I don't think Deion was that well-rounded.

I guess you never saw John Riggins? Pity. He'd be on my list, but I'm 15 years older, so I have a few more to choose from.

But, it's a good list.

Sparky Duck said...

This list was so hard to put together, because I have seen so many great players, like Riggins and Elway. The only reason I went with Deion is because I think he changed the game for Defensive Backs. It could have been a Thursday 30 though.

Buttercup said...

I'm not a sports fan, so I can't add any two cents. What about hockey players?

Happy TT!

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

A great list. I'm pleased that Manning finally made it to the big game, although the Colts are not my favorite team.

Christie O. said...

ooh either they're all just really famous or i know a little football, and i'd like to think maybe i know a little football. haha! love the list, especially the apology! hhahaha! and yes, down with powder blue men's team uniforms!

Unknown said...

Please do make fun of this comment as I do now know sports. I do know that you chose some of my favorite HOT athletes including Peyton and brett

Rashenbo said...

That's a really cool list. I'm not much of a sports fanatic except for the Saints (and let's not talk about them mmmkay?) so I'm afraid that I only recognized a couple on your list.

Hope you are having a great Thursday. Thanks for stopping over at my blog.

Cheers!

Tink said...

Oops, I'm afraid I don't know even one of them... Can't say anything about it. :-( ;-)
My TT is about some past and present music preferences.

Christie O. said...

hahahaha! (re: baby blue sissy uniforms)

Anonymous said...

Hey! I know who some of those guys are! My father LOVED football and we had one tv and you can guess the rest.....

I would watch the Superbowl, but going to commericals every sixty seconds drives me NUTS!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Uh-huh. It hasn't escaped my notice that all of your "Sorry" guys, with a few exceptions, were STEELERS. Yup, I noticed that.

However, I won't argue with anything on your list. Not only do I not know enough about football to argue, I think that you make sound arguments and that you may have a point.

Even if none of them are Steelers.

(btw, A Vincent is a German motorcycle, circa WWII. Ugly as anything, and very rare.)

Anonymous said...

I would like to leave an intelligent comment, but I have no idea about football. When I was watching the first Bears playoff game a couple of weeks ago..that was the first time I ever realized that different people go out there when they are defense. I couldn't figure out why the QB was sitting out. And I was in the marching band in high school so I've seen a ton of football games. Never knew that. Felt very stupid.

Anna Mary said...

I used to be in love with Brett Fav-re. Does that count?

Just kidding. Love watching football, I just don't follow it quite that much!

I'm finally TTing again! Happy TT!

Anthony said...

Absolutely could have been a "30". Not to mention Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning. The list goes on.

In 5 years, you'll be adding Shawne Merriman and Brian Erlacher to the list.

Anthony said...

Ooops. I see you have Manning.

OK, so it's 29!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Finally, another person who's not fond of the Cowboys. (But of course I'm a Giants fan, so...;)

I agree with most of your list, and am happy to see Kellen Winslow senior getting some respect. So many people seem to ignore him and his contributions to the game.

Montana, though...most overrated QB ever. He's only great because he had Rice out there catching all his lobbed balls (in my opinion, of course). Steve Young had the much better arm, but sadly never got the respect.

Anyway, great Thursday Thirteen!

Penny said...

Woohoo Brett Favre! He's coming back for 2007 too! This Packer fan is extremely grateful!