Friday, September 28, 2007

Listen Carefully...

And you will hear that giant sucking and wheezing sound coming from the Queens section of New York City, as the Mets stumble and bumble away a 6 game lead in 22 days and and a 2 game lead in 4 days. As you look at the standings today, the Phillies have drawn totally even with the Mets with only 3 games left to play.

This is one of the biggest collapses in my recent memory, at least when it comes to baseball. Especially since the Phillies have very little starting pitching and a bullpen that drives its fans nutty. Yet, the Mets have found a way to piss away a lead, and also have managed to go from being firmly in the playoffs to on the outside looking in, because the Padres also refuse to lose there clutch hold on the Wild Card.

Now as a fan in Philadelphia, there is that small nagging feeling in my brain that says the Phillies will find a way to blow this opportunity, in the most painful of ways. They will probably end up one game short of the both the NL East and the Wildcard, which is probably just painful enough.

It is fun though, because I know down in San Antonio, Texas, there is a certain Met fan that has to be twisting and turning in the wind a bit as this collapse happens before his eyes. Is it wrong to take glee in small suffering of family?

Oh yea, and the Red Sox still lead by 2 games over the hated Yankees.

6 comments:

Schmoop said...

It could be worse. You could be a Reds fan like me. Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

From the Mets fan who lives in Jersey I say, grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

That being said, I love September baseball because I love watching good baseball. Right now the Mets aren't playing it, and if they don't get their act together, don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

the Book of Keira said...

baseball... fun to play, boring to watch.

The Gal Herself said...

You KNOW I'm pulling for Philly. I have never hated the Yankees, but I have never forgiven the Mets. And as a superstitious Northsider, I never want to see a Cubs-Mets matchup in an important game. That's scarier than a billy goat, a black cat and Steve Bartman combined!

Maggie Moo said...

I'm on the edge of my seat as is every Red Sox fan is in September! 2up, 3 to go...it's killin me!!!

Anonymous said...

I stopped paying attention to baseball after the last strike. And considering the Rangers never have been in pennant contention, well, it's not really all that important.