Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #48 The Bookshelf One


Thirteen Books on Sparky's shelf


I seem to be very popular with memes and tags for them. Actually I love that I get tagged all the time, because it means people are interested in my thoughts. Or they run out of people to ask and since I am around a lot, I am an easy target. I am going to go with idea number 1.

Anyway, Wylie of Wylie's Words did not officially tag me for this one, she did offer it to me to do if I needed something during the blogathon. I did not get to it then, but I will share it with everyone now. Its the bookshelf meme, an attempt to learn something about the blogger (that would be me) from the books that they have read.

Official Rules:
"The rules are to provide a list of books that you have on your shelves to see if anyone can learn about you from them - but not just any books. They have to be books that you've actually paid for, nothing given, borrowed, stolen, or whatever."


I think I paid for almost all of these, but they are all books that I have read and if I did not pay for them, I asked for them as a gift and everyone knows as you get older, the amount of gifts you get at your birthday is less, so its like buying. (Wow, long explanation for an easy list)

1.Sammy's Hill by Kristen Gore
2.See Jane Date by Melissa Senate. Actually read it right when I was about to get back into the dating scene, not exactly a confidence builder, but funny.
3.Every Witch way but Dead-Kim Harrison-currently my favorite paranormal witch series
4.My Sisters Keeper-Jodi Picoult-ok Mrs Duck bought this one, sue me. GREAT
5.Girls on Film by Zoey Dean-Its like a off shoot of the Gossip Girl series, certainly not as bad as it sounds.
6.Its Not You Its Me-Alison Rushby. Its a fiction book, from Red Dress Ink, not the dating guide for women. I am not that in touch with my feminine side, sheesh.
7.Nothing's Sacred by Lewis Black
8.Bragging Rights:A season inside the SEC by Richard Ensberger-hey, my first mention of a sports book!
9.God in Concord, a Homer Kelly Mystery by Jane Langton-I could read it again because I can not remember one thing about this book besides the fact I have read it.
10.Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand-Favorite Book Evah!
11.Worst Person in the World, Vol 1-Keith Olbermann I will behave and make absolutely no comments
12.Five Against One by Kim Neely-The story of the rise of Pearl Jam and Grunge. Yep, Im a grunge duck.
13.From Potter's Field by Patricia Cornwell-Slight problem with this book, its based on the books before it and I think I only read one of the 3, so the plot was gripping but not Oh wow gripping

Any of them books you have read? Any books I should read??

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





40 comments:

Norma said...

A great list of books. I'll have to borrow that next week. I don't have a TT this week, but I do have a poem. Stop by.

http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2007/08/4054-poetry-thursday-betrayal-of-trust.html

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

well sparky i have not read number 11 myself, but i think hillary is too! why not pitch that one? ha ha ha

smiles, bee

Unknown said...

I don't think I've read any of these. I will have to check out Every Witch way but Dead-Kim Harrison. It sounds like one I'd enjoy.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Read the Patricia Cornwell. She was awesome up to about book 6 and then she kinda went a bit bonkers IMHO and started to think she WAS Kay Scarpeta. But the first 5 or so are awesome.

She also wrote a non fiction look at Jack the Ripper. Interesting suppositions in it.

Jill said...

I haven't one of those book, but I like the idea of it for a tt!!It might play with your mind, since almost all of my books are french!!)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Grunge ducks rock, know that?

And Kim Harrison is currently my favorite series, too. I've got a few others here that I need to crack open, but have you seen my TBR lately? OUT - OF - CONTROL. And even that's an understatement.

Happy TT, my friend.

Anonymous said...

The only one of these I've read is the Cornwell. Interesting list. I'll have to check them out.

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've read any of those, thanks for sharing!!

Blog said...

Gosh, I haven't read ANY of these! Have you read The Alchemist...? I'd recommend that?

Anonymous said...

nice list. Haven't read them

Check out the Wednesday reviews on my blog. These books are good and fun to read.

K.M. Saint James said...

If you love a great mystery, then check out Lisa Jackson -- anything she writes has been great.

Also, Annie Solomon's Dead Shot is a great romantic suspense. She just won a RITA for her RS of Black Out. I haven't read that one yet.

The Gal Herself said...

Aw, Seabiscuit. You are a softie, Sparkela. And circle back and read the earlier Cornwell's. They're very good. (Later ones, not so much ...)

erin said...

I haven't read any of these books! My list is about poems to read, though, so I love literary TTs! :)

Anonymous said...

I like Kim Harrison's books too. Nice TT.

The Rock Chick said...

Ok, I am totally embarassed to say I have never read any of those books!! I better get busy!!

Happy TT!
Jessica The Rock Chick

Lori said...

I havent read any of those...lol. Happy TT.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Lewis Black kicks ass!! Though I'm always slightly afraid he's going to drop dead of a stroke when he gets going.

Anonymous said...

I've been hearing really good things about My Sister's Keeper. I may have to check it out! Thanks for the recommendations.

Rebecca said...

Nope, I haven't read any. Actually I'm so far behind I haven't read most of the books on my shelf which is more of a pile of wanna reads.

Happy TT13!

Anonymous said...

I have only read Kim Harrison.

I can guess why you don't read The Stand but what about Outlander???

Chelle Y. said...

I have never read any of those. I'll have to check some of them out!

Lexa Roséan said...

gosh I've only read Seabiscuit from your list but many sound interesting and I really like the meme. I think I will save it for next week's TT.
blessings
The Witch Dr is IN

Rhian said...

okay - only #3 on my shelf. Some of the others sound interesting. Sports book - not so much. (ducking)

Yoshi said...

I'm with you with the Kim Harrison/Rachel Morgan books. I do like how the titles are based on westerns and/or Clint Eastwood films.

I'm just waiting for the next book to come out in mass paperback. :)

Sparky Duck said...

Bee-I just knew you would go there.

Christine-any of the three in mass market paperback are great. Dont read the latest one until you read 1-3 though, since apparently someone dies in 4. I havent read it yet, so im blissfully clueless.

Starr-She started scaring me around the Last Precinct. I know I have to read Blowfly and then I might end the series right there.

SHG-Great minds baby, great minds

Haley-I think it might have been in my house, but not sure where it is now, the wife reads 10 times faster then i do.

Gal-Its great, because it really is not a sports book, because its more life then sports.

Sparky Duck said...

Scooper-I am surprised at how many people really like her, I thought she was less known then that.

Julia-In his standup act, at least on TV, it looks like Lewis is gonna stroke out at any point. which is why I love him too.

Kailani-I plan on reviewing it soon, it was close to a keeper.

Nancy-I don't evene remember who Outlander is

Rhian-you do realize you live in SEC football country don't you?

Yoshi-Now that I am actually presently surprised at.

Everyone else that I missed, if you want light reading go with See Jane Date, if you want thoughful, its My Sisters Keeper, paranormal any Kim Harrison would work and historical/biography, I am telling you Seabiscuit is worth it.

kuanyin333 said...

Nope...haven't read any of these books either! I tend to read mostly nonfiction or blogs these days! Happy TT!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

sit in the corner quietly as I have not read one of those....

I am so ashamed....

Anonymous said...

I've read My Sister's Keeper -- excellent book. And Seabiscuit is on my humongous TBR list!

Happy T13, and thanks for visiting mine! :)

Anonymous said...

I've read one of Patricia's Cornwell books, and I'm putting My Sister's Keeper on my list of books to read.

Great list of books,Sparky.

Ann said...

Cool list. I've read #3 and #13 and I agree with you on Cornwell (and Harrison- great books). Happy TT.

Amy Ruttan said...

Great list. I still have to read My sister's keeper though.

Happy TT Sparky

Darla said...

I've read #1 and #3, liked them both. As for suggestions... if you like Kim Harrison, have you tried Jim Butcher?

Rhian said...

what's SEC football? no, really.
(looking at everyone else and shrugging)
oh and Darla's recommendation for you of Butcher is a good one - YOU my darling duck will LOVE Jim Butcher.

Jenny McB said...

Thank you for the comment about Dolly and me...LOL

Don't feel bad about not reading the first couple of Cornwell's books, singularly, they are good, but are repetitive after reading two. We listened to Nothing's Sacred on road trip to Virginia with the kids, wow, glad my kids are old. Lewis is funny, but boy, talk about a walking posterboy for what drugs can do...

tommie said...

interesting list!
Thanks for visiting my TT

Lisa Andel said...

I've read a number of these myself Sparky. I liked Cornwell's early stuff, but something happened to her and she's too grim for me now.

Recommendations?
Paranormal - Patricia Briggs "Moon Called"
Light humor - Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (hey, I know a LOT of men that have read these)
Action/Adventure - Man, there's so many to choose from. Matthew Reilly, James Rollins, Jack DuBrul, and Nelson DeMille to name a few.

I could go on, and on. ;-)

Valtool said...

I think you may enjoy Gregory Maguire. He has been writing new stories based on old fairy tales. His greatest success was Wicked, which became a Broadway musical, about the two witched in the Wizard of Oz and how they were roomies in college long before Dorothy came on the scene.

I'm currently reading the follow-up to Wicked, called Son of a Witch (about Elphaba, the Wicked Witch's son).

Joanne said...

I've never heard of any of these authors except for #4 & #13. great list! Thanks for checking out my list of contests. Hope you win something. As for suggestions, my previous 13 was about books I've read 3 or more times: Here.

Joy Renee said...

i came close to reading My Sister's Keeper and Seabiscut. had them both checked out of the library at various times after watching the DVDs based on them also checked out from the library. never got to read them before the library closed tho.

Olbermann is the reason I started watching news again last fall after he started those special comments. before that i'd given up the entire TV news cabal as nothing but a DC insider cheerleading squad.

thanx for visiting my TT taking umbrage with Professor Umbridge. speaking of which, if you haven't read the Harry Potter books yet give em a try. i had to be talked into it at first myself but am so glad i did