Saturday, October 30, 2004

So Typical of Monkey

TIMELINE OF BUSH’S DAY OCTOBER 29, 2004


1. BUSH KNEW CONTENTS OF BIN LADEN TAPE BEFORE FIRST EVENT TODAY

According to pool report, Bush was briefed on flight to Manchester. “Pool report #5, 10/29/04: Toledo to Columbus, Ohio. Two more facts. After we landed in Columbus, Scott said Bush was informed of the tape this morning on the flight up to Manchester. Karen Hughes said Bush has not spoken to Kerry about the tape.”


2. IN FIRST SPEECH OF THE DAY, BUSH DOES NOT ATTACK KERRY


Backup: “BUSH in Manchester, NH at 10:45 AM: Bush will make remarks at a "NH Victory 2004" rally in Manchester, NH at the Verizon Wireless Arena at 10:45 AM. [White House, 10/27/04]”


3. IN SECOND SPEECH, BUSH ATTACKS KERRY, PLAYING POLITICS WITH WAR ON TERROR:

“If you believe that America should lead with strength and purpose and confidence in our ideals, I would be honored to have your support, and I am asking for your vote. There are big differences between us as to how to best protect our country. The security of our families is at stake during this election. Senator Kerry says that the war on terror is primarily a law enforcement and intelligence-gathering operation. He says that America must submit to what he calls a global test.

I'm not making that up. (Laughter.) He was standing right about here when he said it during one of the debates. (Laughter.) As far as I can tell, that means our country must get permission from foreign capitals before we act in our own defense. That's what the global test says to me.” [White House release of remarks, 10/29/04]

4. IN TOLEDO EVENT, BUSH AGAIN ATTACKS KERRY


BUSH: "In this campaign, there are big differences about how to protect America's families. One time in our debate, my opponent said America must submit to what he calls a global test before we commit force. … My opponent says that September the 11th did not change him much at all. And that's clear in his policies. He believes that the war on terror is primarily a law enforcement and intelligence-gathering operation. September the 11th changed me. I remember that day when I was at Ground Zero on September the14th, 2001. I'll never forget the sights; I'll never forget the sounds. I remember the workers in hard hats yelling at me at the top of their lungs, "Whatever it takes. I remember the first responder -- I can't remember if he was a firefighter or a policeman -- who came out of the rubble, and he grabbed me by the arm and he looked me square in the eye, and he said, "Do not let me down." Ever since that day, I've gotten up every morning thinking about how to better protect our country. I will never relent in defending America, whatever it takes.” (Applause.)

“This election comes down to some clear choices -- five clear choices for America's family. The first clear choice is the most important because it concerns the security of your family. All progress on every other issue dependson the safety of our citizens. This will be the first presidential election since September the 11th, 2001. Americans will go to the polls in a time of war and ongoing threats, unlike any we have faced before. The terrorists who killedthousands of innocent people are still dangerous, and they are determined. The outcome of this election will set the direction of the war against terror. The most solemn duty of the American President is to protect the American people. (Applause.) If America shows uncertainty or weakness during these troubling times, the world will drift toward tragedy. This is not going to happen on my watch. … During the last 20 years in key moments of challenge and decision for America, Senator Kerry has chosen the position of weakness and inaction. With that record, he stands in opposition not just to me, but to the great tradition of the Democratic Party. The party of Franklin Roosevelt, the party of Harry Truman, the party of John Kennedy is rightly remembered for confidence and resolve in times of war and hours of crisis. Senator Kerry has turned his back on "pay any price" and "bear any burden," and he's replaced those commitments with "wait and see" and "cut and run."

BUSH in Toledo, OH at 4:10 PM: Bush will make remarks in Toledo, OH at a "OH Victory 2004" rally at the SeaGate Convention Center at 4:10 PM.
[White House, 10/27/04]


5. BEFORE GETTING ON PLANE, BUSH GIVES UNIFYING STATEMENT ON BIN LADEN TAPE


BUSH: “Earlier today I was informed of the tape that is now being analyzed by America's intelligence community. Let me make this very clear: Americans will not be intimidated or influenced by an enemy of our country. I'm sure Senator Kerry agrees with this. I also want to say to the American people that we're at war with these terrorists and I am confident that we will prevail. Thank you very much. Thank you.”


0 comments: